Secondary Essay Submission Timing?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

goodmornin

GoodMornin!
Reaction score
Hi, I am a pre-med student applying for this cycle and wanted to ask about the two-week deadline for my secondary essays. I applied to many schools and unfortunately did not pre-write a ton of my essays. How negatively will submitting within 2.5-3 weeks affect my application? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I think the 2 week rule is kinda like a general rule of thumb for when you should have em in and less of a strict deadline. I think having more polished essays submitted slightly later will be better than rushed/poorly written essays submitted sooner.

Reactions: 1 users

What might happen is that your application gets reviewed as much as a month later, depending on how many others submit their applications "on time" within the recommended 1-2 week deadline. But that's probably it. I agree, "better" is still preferred than "earlier," but both are ideal. (This is why you pre-write.)

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I think the 2 week rule is kinda like a general rule of thumb for when you should have em in and less of a strict deadline. I think having more polished essays submitted slightly later will be better than rushed/poorly written essays submitted sooner.
I agree, and the key advice is to read each email inviting you to submit a secondary word by word to see if they have a strict deadline to return it. Two that I know have a 2 week deadline are Wash U St. Louis and U of Houston Fertitta, there are others.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
I agree, and the key advice is to read each email inviting you to submit a secondary word by word to see if they have a strict deadline to return it. Two that I know have a 2 week deadline are Wash U St. Lous and U of Houston Fertitta, there are others.
I'll add that I've discovered some don't even say the 2 week deadline in their email. You may have to go into the portal to find out. Also, thanks for the reminder about WashU.

Hi, I am a pre-med student applying for this cycle and wanted to ask about the two-week deadline for my secondary essays. I applied to many schools and unfortunately did not pre-write a ton of my essays. How negatively will submitting within 2.5-3 weeks affect my application? Thanks!
I agree with those who said "better" is more important than "earlier." Ideally you want both, but if that train left the station and you're talking about taking a few more days to submit a strong secondary, take those few days -- unless the school has a stated deadline for returning secondaries.

• Love
I agree, and the key advice is to read each email inviting you to submit a secondary word by word to see if they have a strict deadline to return it. Two that I know have a 2 week deadline are Wash U St. Lous and U of Houston Fertitta, there are others.

wait wdym wash u has a 2 week deadline. i just submitted my secondaries today (17 days since i recieved the invitation) and it went through just fine.

• Okay...
Reactions: 1 users
wait wdym wash u has a 2 week deadline. i just submitted my secondaries today (17 days since i recieved the invitation) and it went through just fine.
Me too! I submitted just after midnight on the 2-week deadline. Didn't think it mattered, but I hope it doesn't just mean I made a donation...