Quantcast

Secondary Essays and Reapplication

BeMo Free Repeat™ On Us + 5 Med School Challenge
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

akestler

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

I am reapplying and rewrote my PS for the 2nd time around. I am applying to numerous schools again and was wondering if I have to rewrite brand new secondary essays for them. Can I just use the same essays and maybe improve them a little bit? What are you guys doing?

Thanks.

PhDtoDO

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
At least from the schools I reapplied to the second time I got waitlisted everywhere...they keep all the old applications...again...just the schools I interviewed at. I spoke with the dean of admissions the summer before I started my PhD about my plans and he explained to me...while looking at my old application and my new one...why I was still waitlisted. He had everything including my letters...the reports from all past and present interviews. I think most schools do this because a good percentage of each entering class must be reapplicants! I'm sure it varies school to school, but I think 99 percent keep everything for a year or two at least. :cool:

So better to give them something knew...because they already have the old stuff.

I think its worth the extra effort.

My opinions.

Good Luck!

-s

RayhanS1282

perpetually percolated
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Last year I only completed the secondaries for about 5-6 schools. The only thing "new" that I am giving them this time around is a new MCAT score and new ECs. I did three drafts for my PS and had them read by both my advisors and an honest friend but they all liked the initial PS and recommended that I keep it as it is.

akestler

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
akestler said:
Hey all,

I am reapplying and rewrote my PS for the 2nd time around. I am applying to numerous schools again and was wondering if I have to rewrite brand new secondary essays for them. Can I just use the same essays and maybe improve them a little bit? What are you guys doing?

Thanks.

So what's the verdict? New secondary essays or not?

GenSurg

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
When I applied for the second time, I re-wrote all essays. If it didn't work the first time, I felt it probably needed to be changed. I do think that most schools hold on to old applications for at least one year and can review what you wrote. I felt it was better to show that I could come up with new material instead of rehashing old stuff.

http://www.freeiPods.com/?r=20049323

ambaduchi

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
i'm totally having this issue too. so, let's take the case of columbia (i pretty much believe that it's hopeless for me to be re-applying there, but i like the pain...or something). there's an essay on "what satisfactions do you expect from your career as a physician?" i re-read my essay from last year and i still think it's good, and so does a friend who sits on admissions at another med school. and most importnatly, my answer to the q hasn't changed.

meanwhile, i have a completely different PS, 4 of 5 of my letters are new, and about 1/2 of my post-secondary activities are different this time around. last year my app was complete at columbia around early december and my academic LOR's were from 1997. so several things are different/better this year.

so in this case, do you still think i should not recycle the secondary essay? part of it is that i'm trying to triage my time (have a job, school, and a ridic number of secondaries to do) and part of it is that for this particular essay question, i don't have a new answer so it would suck to rewrite from scratch. would end up saying essentially the same things.

grrr...what a headache. we must be serious masochists to do this all over.

anyway, would love anyone's 2 cents...thx

smallqt

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
ambaduchi said:
i'm totally having this issue too. so, let's take the case of columbia (i pretty much believe that it's hopeless for me to be re-applying there, but i like the pain...or something). there's an essay on "what satisfactions do you expect from your career as a physician?" i re-read my essay from last year and i still think it's good, and so does a friend who sits on admissions at another med school. and most importnatly, my answer to the q hasn't changed.

meanwhile, i have a completely different PS, 4 of 5 of my letters are new, and about 1/2 of my post-secondary activities are different this time around. last year my app was complete at columbia around early december and my academic LOR's were from 1997. so several things are different/better this year.

so in this case, do you still think i should not recycle the secondary essay? part of it is that i'm trying to triage my time (have a job, school, and a ridic number of secondaries to do) and part of it is that for this particular essay question, i don't have a new answer so it would suck to rewrite from scratch. would end up saying essentially the same things.

grrr...what a headache. we must be serious masochists to do this all over.

anyway, would love anyone's 2 cents...thx

I agree with you. I have nothing new to say for most of these essays. I still feel the same way I did a year ago so why should I re-write them. Forexample, I still have the same stressful situation that I did a year ago so what amI supposed to come up with a new one just so that it can be different?

This thread is more than 16 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.