secondary fee waiver for FAP

Started by moto_za
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

moto_za

Member
20+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Did a search but could not find the answer. Since I applied to more than 12 schools how can I get the the secondary fee waived? I still have to pay the app. fee and then ask each school I applied to for a waiver? b/c I already paid for the extra schools I applied to.
 
Did a search but could not find the answer. Since I applied to more than 12 schools how can I get the the secondary fee waived? I still have to pay the app. fee and then ask each school I applied to for a waiver? b/c I already paid for the extra schools I applied to.

I'm going to assume that you have FAP approved. Even though you paid for the additional app fee after the first 13 schools (should be 13, not 12) to AMCAS, I believe you can still have your secondary apps waived for the extra schools you applied to. Just make sure to print each school the FAP notice on the homepage of the FAP application and you're set.
 
Oh OK so they refund my money afterwards? Once I receive a secondary do I have to ask each school about it. I have been approved. thank you
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
If you have already paid the secondary fees, then i doubt they will refund you. But if you have not yet paid for the secondary applications then those fees will be waived if you provide them with a copy of your FAP appoval.
 
So now I am confused🙂 AMCAS made me pay for the additional schools on their website and if I did not it wouldn't process my application.
 
Since you applied to 13+ medical schools, AMCAS charged you primary fees for the additional schools. The seconday fees are associated with the secondary applications you will receive directly from the various medical schools you applied to.
 
WOW I did not know that I have to pay primary fees for each school AND secondary fees for each school. I just thought it is like 500 for the primary and then everything else is considered a secondary. :idea:
So as far as the secondary how do I know which schools have been waived? And I should ask the rest for a waiver when I get a secondary from them? Thanks a bunch!
 
WOW I did not know that I have to pay primary fees for each school AND secondary fees for each school. I just thought it is like 500 for the primary and then everything else is considered a secondary. :idea:
So as far as the secondary how do I know which schools have been waived? And I should ask the rest for a waiver when I get a secondary from them? Thanks a bunch!
the schools will automatically waive your secondary. for instance, with electronic secondaries..when you go to submit, it will say "fees waived" or "due:0"..if its paper, they will know also. there is no limit to how many secondaries can be waived, but for primaries, there is a limit.
 
the schools will automatically waive your secondary. for instance, with electronic secondaries..when you go to submit, it will say "fees waived" or "due:0"..if its paper, they will know also. there is no limit to how many secondaries can be waived, but for primaries, there is a limit.

Thank you so much! Now I get it! 😀 Had I known that the primaries would not be refunded/waived for more than 13+ schools I would have applied to less schools Dang it!
 
Once you receive your secondary application, before submitting that application you just have to either mail or email the schools a copy of your FAP anf your fee will be waived.

There are only a few schools which will not waive there feconday fees e.g NYMC!

Btw, character is also right, some schools will automatically waive your seconday fees.
 
Since most of the secondary fees are around $80-$100. You will probably be saving more than $2000 on secondary fees. So be happy🙂
 
"AMCAS charges an application processing fee of $160 for one (1) medical school designation, and $30 for each designation thereafter."
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Since you applied to 13+ medical schools, AMCAS charged you primary fees for the additional schools. The seconday fees are associated with the secondary applications you will receive directly from the various medical schools you applied to.

Yeh, that was exactly why I applied to only 13 schools that I really wanted to go. And as for how you know 13 is the limit? You can either read it on the FAP FAQs section or you can see for yourself when you try to add more than 13 schools on the AMCAS app. They'll charge you $30 extra for each additional school after the 13th one.