Academic deficit explanation for taking MCAT 3 times in secondary?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

MathPerson

Full Member
2+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Good morning, hope everyone is doing well.

I am still working on my secondaries (almost there!) and I encountered several similar prompts asking whether I'd like to explain additional academic deficits or an MCAT subsection that hasn't been explained elsewhere in the application. I took the MCAT 3 times: 512, 511, 523. Shall I use this optional space to drop 1-2 sentences in explaining why my score dropped 1 point the 2nd attempt?
My honest explanation: I could not fall asleep the night before my 2nd attempt due to pressure and slept only 4 hours. I made the decision not to cancel it because I took it in June and wished it would be good so I would proceed to apply that cycle. No miracle happened though😁.
 
Last edited:
Good morning, hope everyone is doing well.

I am still working on my secondaries (almost there!) and I encountered several similar prompts asking whether I'd like to explain additional academic deficits or an MCAT subsection that hasn't been mentioned elsewhere in the application. I took the MCAT 3 times: 512, 511, 523. Shall I use this optional space to drop 1-2 sentences in explaining why my score dropped 1 point the 2nd attempt?
My honest explanation: I could not fall asleep the night before my 2nd attempt due to pressure and slept only 4 hours. I made the decision not to cancel it because I took it in June and wished it would be good so I would proceed to apply that cycle. No miracle happened though😁.
Definitely do not use this prompt to talk about a 1 point drop in your MCAT. Just my thoughts.
 
Definitely do not use this prompt to talk about a 1 point drop in your MCAT. Just my thoughts.
Thank you. I am also prone not to mention it. It's like an on-the-fence situation.

I once really hated myself for having to take it 3 times but realized there is nothing I could do about it. Plus I would never know whether doing it 3 times hurts my chance or not at a specific school. Anyway, glad I didn't need to do it the 4th time😁
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I took the MCAT 3 times: 512, 511, 523. Shall I use this optional space to drop 1-2 sentences in explaining why my score dropped 1 point the 2nd attempt?
My honest explanation: I could not fall asleep the night before my 2nd attempt due to pressure and slept only 4 hours. I made the decision not to cancel it because I took it in June and wished it would be good so I would proceed to apply that cycle. No miracle happened though😁.

This is not an academic deficit. It could be a deficit in self-management or judgment. I don't think you want to appear tonedeaf to those who have real academic difficulties to disclose.
 
Never, ever bring attention to a a negative, especially when one is scoring at the 99th percentile in the MCAT.
What if the MCAT was a 505 with a high GPA, should one answer the optional question to explain a deficit?
 
What prompt are you answering?
Albany's prompt: "Please explain any inconsistencies in your university, graduate, or professional school academic performance and/or MCAT scores. If the question does not apply to you, please put N/A in the box provided. "

My GPA and ECs are strong, but my MCAT is low (505). Should I explain why I had this inconsistency?