Secondary Fee Waiver Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

steeeeveo

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
"Any request for a fee waiver must be accompanied by a recommendation from the financial aid advisor at your school." -- Many medical schools are telling me this.

Does anyone have any experience with this? Should I just contact financial aid and ask if I can have something in writing? That's probably what I'll do anyway. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Are you requesting a secondary fee waiver after not qualifying for FAP?

Sorry, I should have been more clear. I already received FAP. I was assuming that message was for everyone?

Members don't see this ad :)
Lol then you should be fine. Generally if you've been granted FAP then the secondary will automatically waive your fee, with a few schools requiring that you submit your FAP documentation (email that you've been approved). I'm pretty sure that message is for people requesting fee waivers without FAP.

Reactions: 1 users
Lol then you should be fine. Generally if you've been granted FAP then the secondary will automatically waive your fee, with a few schools requiring that you submit your FAP documentation (email that you've been approved). I'm pretty sure that message is for people requesting fee waivers without FAP.

Oh. Welp. Never mind. Thanks!

+1
13 secondaries in, 0 requests to pay fees. Be aware that some schools only waive part of the fee (like Vandy is still $50? idk)

+1
13 secondaries in, 0 requests to pay fees. Be aware that some schools only waive part of the fee (like Vandy is still $50? idk)

Yeah some schools reduce the fee instead of eliminating it altogether. The ones I know of are:

Baylor (reduces fee from $100 to $50)
Tulane (reduces fee from $125 to $62.50)
Virginia Tech (reduces fee from $50 to $15)

I think I was thrown off from ECU. From ECU's website. Emphasis mine. I found this to be particularly odd.
http://www.ecu.edu/cs-dhs/bsomadmissions/faqs.cfm

"17. Can I have the $70 Supplementary Application fee waived?
A. The BSOM Office of Admissions will consider requests to waive our $70 Supplementary Application fee if payment of this fee would constitute a true financial hardship to an applicant. To qualify for a fee waiver, the applicant must generally be enrolled full time in an educational program, qualify for financial aid at that institution, and have been granted an AMCAS fee waiver. Applicants who do not qualify for financial aid or who are currently employed are seldom granted BSOM fee waivers. The provision of an AMCAS fee waiver does not necessarily ensure that BSOM will grant one as well. In order to be considered for a waiver of the $70 application fee, a letter from the Financial Aid Officer at an applicant’s current institution documenting enrollment and financial need should be emailed to [email protected]."

That's just one school being stingy or having serious administrative cost problems, most are fine with just waiving it

Reactions: 1 user
That's just one school being stingy or having serious administrative cost problems, most are fine with just waiving it

Now that I'm looking at my other schools I applied to, that seems to be the case. I just so happened to look at ECU and Stonybrook first. (Though Stonybrook will waive it with proof of the FAP email)

Now that I'm looking at my other schools I applied to, that seems to be the case. I just so happened to look at ECU and Stonybrook first. (Though Stonybrook will waive it with proof of the FAP email)
You don't actually need to do anything for SB. I submitted the secondary and the page just said fee was waived

You don't actually need to do anything for SB. I submitted the secondary and the page just said fee was waived

That's good to know! Thanks.
Also: nice avatar.

That is so tempting! I really like this avatar though. I suppose I could change it back to this when (if) I get in.
You prefer A-Rod smoking a joint over Pokemon?
Pokemon master, never become you will, young Padawan

You prefer A-Rod smoking a joint over Pokemon?
Pokemon master, never become you will, young Padawan

Hey, A-Rod is having a great year and he just turned 40! I have too many favorite Pokemon. It'd be like choosing between my kids (that I don't have).

Edit: That's a cigar there. I think he's learned his lesson.