Secondary Hell!!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TwoSteveSquared

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
AHHHHHHHHH!

Finished 13. 17 More to go.
I honestly would rather study for the MCAT at this point.

I hate typewriters.
I hate moral dilemma questions.
I hate retyping my damn courses.
I hate Loyola for having 6 damn questions.
I hate brochures about how great some over priced school is because they have John, the med student who was born without hearing, managed to get a 3.9 in college while selling hot dogs from his Dad's cart to support his little sister. Then he flew to Central America, where he cured cancer and saved 3 rain forests. Came back to the U.S. and played piano in nursing homes in between the hot dog job and his paramedic gig. Owe yeah, John speaks 7 languages, and earned a degree in Dance while finishing his pre-med reqs. He was also the star quarterback on his Ivy league football team. All this in 3 years. MCAT score: 41. Of course, John is one of many unique individuals at You'reNotGoodEnoughForUs University.

O.k. I'm over it. Back to normal. I don't hate anything. Just felt like venting.

No offense John.

Members don't see this ad.

Hilarious post, Two SteveSquared! I hear ya! 7 down, 15 to go for me. Well, 13 actually, as Boston's request for a check doesn't count, and Mayo doesn't have a secondary. At this point, I'm kind of glad not to have heard from 8 of my schools. And what IS up with having us retype our courses?!?!

Mayo doesn't have a secondary?
Wow, the best news I could hear right now :) haha

Members don't see this ad :)
You said it twostevesquared. That had to be one of the funniest posts I have read so far. What is up with those students they talk about anyway? Anyway, back to my feable world of MCAT struggles without any physical or mental impairments. Damn it! I need to find a hardship. Oh yeah, my dog died last year and..................................

from what i hear, mayo does an initial interview over the phone for their secondary, and if they still like you, they will invite you to a formal interview.

There is not too much reason to cheer about Mayo not requiring a secondary.

Mayo invites a select group of applicants to submit reference letters. Students from whom reference letters are not requested are notified of their rejection approximately four weeks after application.

Mayo initially looks at cognitive data [guess what] and evidence of medically-related work. In order to select the on-campus interview pool Mayo uses an initial standardized telephone interview stressing [a suitable word] non-cognitive characteristics with those called asked to submit reference letters. Aprox. 400 applicants are invited for on-campus interviews.

Of those interviewed, approx. 20% are accepted, 30-35% wait-listed.

The "secondary" is the telephone interview.
For some, that may be more stressful than filling out another secondary!

Mayo has a tiny class of 42. In 2000-2001 it had 3700 applicants, of whom 252 were interviewed.

The 2000 entering class: mean GPA, 3.82; mean MCAT scores, 10 in all catgories; 50% women. All took MCAT and had baccalaureate degrees.

The above statistics from the 2002-2003 MSAR.

Applicants are well advised to at least read the MSAR before deciding where to apply and to consult as well their premedical advisors.
Many waste toon much money, effort, time, and anxiety applying mostly to wish list rather than to attainable medical schools.