secondary help: personal or academic problem

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medlover247

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

I need help one of with loyola's secondary questions:

Describe briefly how you have dealt with a personal or academic problem you have encountered.

I want to write about the semester when I was taking O Chem, Calculus and had leadership positions in two different clubs. I wasn't doing well in both classes and decided to drop Calculus, I still ended up with a C+ in Ochem :mad: (my only C)

Can I talk about how this was a difficult decision, and if I dropped Calc I would have a W but if I didn't drop Calc I would have done bad in both classes?

I haven't talked about this anywhere else, and it might come up in other secondaries so I would appreciate any help. Thanks in advance :)

Members don't see this ad.

Hi All,

I need help one of with loyola's secondary questions:

Describe briefly how you have dealt with a personal or academic problem you have encountered.

I want to write about the semester when I was taking O Chem, Calculus and had leadership positions in two different clubs. I wasn't doing well in both classes and decided to drop Calculus, I still ended up with a C+ in Ochem :mad: (my only C)

Can I talk about how this was a difficult decision, and if I dropped Calc I would have a W but if I didn't drop Calc I would have done bad in both classes?

I haven't talked about this anywhere else, and it might come up in other secondaries so I would appreciate any help. Thanks in advance :)

I wouldn't write about this. Not that it wasn't a tough situation for you (I'm sure it was), but on these secondary questions the schools want you to write about a problem with Deep Meaning, where you learned Important Lessons from it. The situation you describe doesn't really fit this model, because it's the kind of thing students go through every day. Also, since you're supposed to spend most of these essays describing how you dealt with the problem, it's best to pick one where you were able to achieve a happy ending. (The C+ in orgo is a little bit short of a happy ending, IMO.)

Try to find a deeper/more meaningful situation to write about, preferably something that's NOT about school. (Difficult personal decision you had to make, etc.) I think the "academic" option is there in case people want to describe a truly unusual and thought-provoking situation they had to deal with in school.

Depending on your overall GPA, you may have to explain the bad orgo grade, but not in this kind of essay--it would belong in the "is there anything you want to explain about your academic record" essay, if they give you space for that.

Loyola is a very service-oriented school. That would love to hear you talk about how you served others (minorities, in particular) or how you went through a situation and learned something about those who are less fortunate. From my experience, they could care less about a single grade.

Members don't see this ad :)
thank you soo much for your response

I really can't think of any community service related problem I have had

The only other thing I can think of for this essay is when my dad started vomiting blood and became unconsious and I had to call 911. would this work?

thanks!

thank you soo much for your response

I really can't think of any community service related problem I have had

The only other thing I can think of for this essay is when my dad started vomiting blood and became unconsious and I had to call 911. would this work?

thanks!

I wouldn't necessarily call this a "difficult personal situation"...I think it's kind of common sense.

i wrote about my friend's death and how it shaped me... which is extreme but you get the idea.

i wrote about all my experiences together

Last edited: