Secondary Help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medanon

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am trying to figure out what to do for my secondaries in regards to the diversity question. I think one of the things that sets me apart is the fact that I have ADHD. While it is often viewed in a negative light, I think that many of my successes are due to the fact that my brain works differently than others do. People with ADHD can actually get hyperfocused on things that they are passionate about and we are also known for non-linear thinking. My GPA (3.85) and MCAT score (519) show that I can handle difficult curriculums and I have come up with a multitude of ways to counteract any of the "negative" side effects. I also specialized in tutoring kids with ADHD after I was diagnosed because I was able to relate to them and teach them study techniques as well as the materials. I am currently working in a psychiatrist's office and that has further cemented my belief in the importance of mental health as well as physical health. I already mentioned ADHD in my primaries, so schools are already aware of it. Do you guys think this will make a strong diversity essay? Or would this go more into the adversity category?

Members don't see this ad.

Sounds more like an adversity question to me. I believe Goro has said the diversity question could be asked as "what would your friends say about you?" Would they say, "oh yeah, medanon has ADHD" ?

what makes you cool? what perspective would you bring to the table that others wouldn't have?"

Sounds more like an adversity question to me. I believe Goro has said the diversity question could be asked as "what would your friends say about you?" Would they say, "oh yeah, medanon has ADHD" ?

what makes you cool? what perspective would you bring to the table that others wouldn't have?"
I think what they would say about me is I'm really into fitness. I first started weight lifting when I was 12 years old, have played 7 different sports, and have been skiing since I was 4. I was chubby as a child and so was my dad so he has always raised me to try and be healthy and in shape. It's also super important for my mental health and one of the things that got me through studying for the MCAT. Towards the end I realized that I studied flashcards best when I was hiking so I would go on 6 mile hikes each day and whenever I got bored with the flash cards I would start running the trail because it helps me reacharge and then I would be able to go back to my cards.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I've been in the gym since I was 12 years old, have played 7 different sports, and have been skiing since I was 4.
If you've been skiing since you were 4, how have you also been in the gym since you were 12? If you are accepted into medical school are you prepared to leave the building you have been inside for nearly a decade? How has your dating life been since you've never left the gym? You have to be freaking ripped. :)

How has your ADHD exposed you to different perspectives and how will you bring that to the classroom? There may be a way to spin this, use your ADHD creativity to do it :)