secondary info wanted for CCOM, NOVA, AZCOM, WVCOM, OUCOM, KCOM, PSCOM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tigerlily

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can anyone tell me what the secondary essays are for CCOM, NOVA, AZCOM, WVCOM, OUCOM, KCOM, PSCOM? Any other suggestions for applying to these schools (I'm from PA, but am interested in moving in order to experience another part of the country for a while). Also, is it very important that you type your responses?

Members don't see this ad.

I would also like to know!!!

Well I applied to Nova and OSU last year.

Nova's essay was:

List your significant healthcare-related activities since graduation from high school. List dates of involvement, level of responsibility, and number of hours per week.

I think they also ask you why you want to be an osteopathic physician.

Oklahoma asks you why you chose OSU. They also ask you a separate essay on what strengths you can bring to OSU or something like that. I think they also ask you why you want to be an osteopathic physician as well.

Members don't see this ad :)
I also applied to Pikesville as well. One of their essays is: List all extra curricular, volunteer, or vocational activities you participated in while in college. List dates.

I think they also ask you what qualities you possess that would make you a capable osteopathic physician.

Kirksville asks you why you want to be an osteopathic physician. They also ask you what traits you can bring to kirksville or something like that.

Okay, here goes (I also have TUCOM, LECOM, and UNECOM if any one is interested):

Nova:
First page:
There are several yes/no questions: I am open to the idea of practicing primary care medicine, I am open to the idea of practicing medicine in a health care shortage area, I have been treated by an Osteopathic Physician, and I have more than a casual relationship with an Osteopathic Physician.

Second page (each of these had three lines to fill in your answer):
Indicate your extra-curricular and community activities and the extent of your involvement (offices held, etc..) since graduation of high school.
Were you employed during the regular school year (excluding summers) while in undergraduate and graduate school? If yes, list dates of employment beginning with your current position, your title or job description, level of responsibility, and number of hours per week.
Have you been employed since you last attended undergraduate or graduate school? If yes, list dates of employment beginning with your current position, your title or job description, level of responsibility, and number of hours per week.
List your significant healthcare-related activities since graduation of high school. List dates of involvement, level of responsibility, and number of hours per week.
Have you ever made a previous application to the NSU College of Osteopathic Medicine? When?
Give the name and relationship of all relatives in the Osteopathic profession (including college and date of graduation).

Third page:
List all the Osteopathic medical schools you are applying to this year or have applied to in the past.
List all the Allopathic medical schools you are applying to this year or have applied to in the past.

Fourth page:
You attach an essay answering the question: "State your reasons for desiring to become an Osteopathic Physician."

AZCOM (essentially this and CCOM are the same since they are the same university):

First page:
List any relative who is an osteopathic physician.
List college extracurricular activities and honors. Include dates and leadership responsibilites.

Second page:
List community activities and honors. Include dates and leadership responsibilites.
List your favorite hobbies and/or non-academic interests.
List all medically related work and/or volunteer experiences. Include date, position, title, and responsibilities. You may attach a resume.

On a separate piece of paper answer the following three questions:
1. Why should we accept you into this year's class?
2. If you applied to AZCOM last year, what you have you done since then to improve your application?
3. The students at Midwestern University have established a university wide honor code. The code is designed to promote and educate students on teh importance of personal integrity in the medical profession and hopes to further Midwestern University as a community of integrity and trust. Given the importance Midwestern University places on honor and integrity please respond to the following question as completely as possible. Why are one's personal honor and integrity important to the medical profession?

Actually, now that I'm looking at both again, the CCOM application is exactly the same questions as AZCOM.

Hope this helps- revise your essay several times, spellcheck, and have a friend read for errors too before you send them in. Get started now and you'll be ahead of the game when they come. Best of luck! :D

Why do you think Nova asks to list all allopathic schools that we are applying to? Do they look at it unfavorably if there's a lot of allo schools compared to osteo?