Secondary Photo

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

roboyce

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Question:

I've spent the last four years in the Army...Korea, Iraq, General's Aide...etc. It's a big part of my application. Should I wear my uniform (Class A's - the dressy ones) in my photo for secondary applications. Understand that I'm getting out this fall. Classy or tacky?

Members don't see this ad.

roboyce said:
Question:

I've spent the last four years in the Army...Korea, Iraq, General's Aide...etc. It's a big part of my application. Should I wear my uniform (Class A's - the dressy ones) in my photo for secondary applications. Understand that I'm getting out this fall. Classy or tacky?

I think it's probably okay. But if your armed service info is already throughout your app maybe it's overkill and you want to just get a passport photo dressed professionally (not in fatigues) from kinko's/walgreens.

roboyce said:
Question:

Hey there,
I think wearing any armed services uniform is about as professional as you can get. From your application, they DO know that the service has been a huge part of your life so it's definitely OK. Can't possibly be tacky under any circumstances. :)
njbmd :D

Members don't see this ad :)
roboyce said:
Question:

if you have a photo of you and your buddies in the jungle somewhere, with your m4s in hand, and a couple of hoochie mamas draped across your laps, i'd use that one.

seriously, a uniform photo would never be considered tacky. it might even help you stand out in a very positive way.

best of luck.

I've heard some schools are doing this. Once you get in and settled, someone should go after these schools. A photo on your application I think is illegal and is seriously suspect at least.

What do they need to see a photo for, especially during the screening process. What could they fairly learn from a photo?

Anyone on board. I know its impossable for an applicant to throw a stink, but maybe I can. Give me school names. I'll put it on my to-do list.

jim

jjmcentee@hotma said:
I've heard some schools are doing this. Once you get in and settled, someone should go after these schools. A photo on your application I think is illegal and is seriously suspect at least. What do they need to see a photo for, especially during the screening process. What could they fairly learn from a photo?

I always thought that they did it so that they'd be able to learn everyone's names before people arrived. When I was a senior in college, I worked for the admissions office and helped lead tours and interview prospective students sometimes, and we used to do that. It's supposed to make the prospective students feel more comfortable when the admissions staff already knows their names as soon as they walk through the door.

OP, I think that wearing your military uniform is more than appropriate and tasteful....minus the m4s and hoochie mamas. :smuggrin:

The photo request may be to make sure that the person **applying for admission** is the same **person who shows up** for the interview.

jjmcentee@hotma said:
I've heard some schools are doing this. Once you get in and settled, someone should go after these schools. A photo on your application I think is illegal and is seriously suspect at least.

What do they need to see a photo for, especially during the screening process. What could they fairly learn from a photo?

Anyone on board. I know its impossable for an applicant to throw a stink, but maybe I can. Give me school names. I'll put it on my to-do list.

jim

it's not a program thing, it's an eras thing. asking for a photograph of an applicant is not illegal, and not "suspect". a photo is a reasonable way for eras to verify the applicant who appears for an interview is the same person who submitted an eras application. it's called identification. it's the same reason why you need a photo id for the mcat, step 1/2/3, etc...

wow.

electra said:
The photo request may be to make sure that the person **applying for admission** is the same **person who shows up** for the interview.

Yeah, I actually assume it is to confirm that the person who took the MCAT (the last time you submitted a picture) and the person who shows up for the interview are one and the same. Interviewers also usually get a photocopied copy of the picture and it helps them remember the candidate if they don't happen to fill out their evaluation forms immedicately, or when discussing the candidate at a meeting.
I doubt it is used for any discriminatory purposes -- from other parts of the application they will presumably already know your race, gender, age. I suppose there is a danger of discrimination based on things like looks - but from what I've seen on some campuses while interviewing, if these criteria are used, it must be a form of reverse discrimination. :)

I really hate tangents, so I hope I didn't throw this thread in the wrong direction. I think wearing the uniform is prefectly fine.

But back to my tangent: The MCAT requires photos, but the MCAT is not a subjectively graded test, the MCAT people are also just intermediates and I am sure that they do not forward this information on to the schools.

Putting a photo on a job application is illegal, or noting anywhere on the application a physical discription of an individual is also illegal, prior to be hired. After a person is hired, they can take as many photos for ID purposes as they would like.

The timeing of the photo is what is bothersome. After you have been accepted would be appropriate, but before they have invited you for the interview, during the preliminary decision process !? seems wrong.

As far as ID, they can bring an ID to the interview and see if it matches the name, DOB ect. pretty hard to get around that, although it is possible.

Do I think discrimination happens? well, I used to think it was crazy and a thing of the past, but I was a production manager for many years, and I was very surprised at the additudes and actions of hiring managers behind closed doors. I have been disappointed, disgusted, and surpised, and yes it really happens, even from the people you would least expect and from people that are fairly educated.

I am not charging these places with diabolical system of discrimination, but it does set a stage.

j

Thanks for the replies...I think I'm going to go civilian for the photo. I don't want to be over the top with the Army stuff...might give the wrong impression.

As for photos, I believe they use them for a variety of purposes such as putting a face to the application before the interview (so they recognize you before hand) as well as creating visitor IDs to get you into certain parts of campus during your visit.

However, having come from the military, where physical fitness and appearance are important, I know that photos can have an effect on the decision making body. One example, let's say a guy puts down on his application that he is regular marathon runner. When the photo comes back and the guy looks like he weighs 300lbs, there's going to be some questions. Additionally, we used to use appearance as a determinate of physical fitness and thus discipline. For example, if a guy looks fit and trim it says to me he is focused enough to exercise on a regular basis...which in turn, speaks about his focus and determination in other areas. That, of course, is the army, but I would wager that some of this does go on during the admissions process. Is it right? No. Does it always lead to the correct conclusions? No. Do you think people are going to go through this thought process as the evaluate candidates...probably. It is a social bias that does exist.

it'd be tacky if you smiled. don't smile!
just kidding.

just jumped ship from pre-allo ...
I think it'd be fine to wear your uniform ... not that much ends up showing in the 2x2 photo, anyway.
I think that adcoms don't *mean* to be discriminatory with the photos, but I'm sure a lot of catty stuff gets said behind closed doors. And that catty stuff probably makes or breaks a few interview invites when you're looking at 8000+ files.
I sent a photo from about 3 years ago ... professional, but minus a few crow's feet, post-bac stress and about 2000 cups of coffee.