Overcoming Obstacle Secondary Essay Topics

Started by deleted1112122
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

D

deleted1112122

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey all,
am prewriting secondaries. I've had a great deal of difficulty with the overcoming an obstacle essay/challenge. I've written a few essays and have a couple other topics I could write about, but am unsure:
  1. "Learning to be comfortable in my own skin" black, grew up low-income, went to undergrad where AA pop was around 4%, then entered industry where demographics were similar. I really like this essay, but wonder if since its an 'internal' obstacle, that maybe it wouldn't fit?
  2. Was assigned a very difficult project when I first entered the workforce, took diligence, lot of work, but was able to deliver, gave me tools/confidence to approach any problem going forward, i.e., next job, premed classes, etc.
  3. grew up in a rough area, have been on the wrong side of a gun twice, low-performing high school-school (fights, gangs, stabbings, etc.)
    • this is honestly probably the greatest obstacle i've overcome, but feel like its already pretty well established in my primary app, plus I worry it is perceived as a pity party.
Thoughts?
 
I would say that you could really merge number 1 and number 3 pretty well. Since you haver already addressed number 3 in your PS (I'm assuming?) maybe just tell one brief story about it in the obstacle essay, but make the focus on how you continued to overcome throughout your post-secondary education in order to achieve your goals. You could even add a snippet of number 2 in toward the end to tie it all together. Obviously this all depends on the word/character count that you're shooting for.
 
I would say that you could really merge number 1 and number 3 pretty well. Since you haver already addressed number 3 in your PS (I'm assuming?) maybe just tell one brief story about it in the obstacle essay, but make the focus on how you continued to overcome throughout your post-secondary education in order to achieve your goals. You could even add a snippet of number 2 in toward the end to tie it all together. Obviously this all depends on the word/character count that you're shooting for.
Hey really appreciate the suggestion, this is exactly the type of idea I was looking for. Already working on another combined draft that appears better than any of them separated.

Re word count: these are all for 500+ word prompts. I have another topic for the 250 words or less prompts—the topics I shared here are just too tough for me to condense that shortly.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I think 3 is appropriate for self-identified disadvantaged essay. If you have to repeat it as a stand-alone essay, so be it.

It sounds like the prompt wants an example of a specific challenge or problem? If 1 influenced 2, you could have something, but I need details.
Noted—though I already submitted my primary—My disadvantaged essay did not cover those topics, it was more focused on money, working to provide for the family, housing instability, and homelessness. Hopefully a future reader of this thread can benefit from knowing to include that.

1 definitely can segue into 2

Couple example prompts:

  1. Describe your experience with the field of medicine (or a related field) that has prepared you for advanced study in this area. Specifically, how have your life experiences prepared you to pursue a degree in medicine, including coursework, clinical work, experiences in overcoming adversity, work opportunity, volunteer activities, and/or research experiences?
 (500 words)
  2. Describe an obstacle you’ve overcome and how it defined you (500 words)
 
I would say that you could really merge number 1 and number 3 pretty well. Since you haver already addressed number 3 in your PS (I'm assuming?) maybe just tell one brief story about it in the obstacle essay, but make the focus on how you continued to overcome throughout your post-secondary education in order to achieve your goals. You could even add a snippet of number 2 in toward the end to tie it all together. Obviously this all depends on the word/character count that you're shooting for.
Concur