Overcoming Obstacle Secondary Essay Topics

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted1112122

Hey all,
am prewriting secondaries. I've had a great deal of difficulty with the overcoming an obstacle essay/challenge. I've written a few essays and have a couple other topics I could write about, but am unsure:
  1. "Learning to be comfortable in my own skin" black, grew up low-income, went to undergrad where AA pop was around 4%, then entered industry where demographics were similar. I really like this essay, but wonder if since its an 'internal' obstacle, that maybe it wouldn't fit?
  2. Was assigned a very difficult project when I first entered the workforce, took diligence, lot of work, but was able to deliver, gave me tools/confidence to approach any problem going forward, i.e., next job, premed classes, etc.
  3. grew up in a rough area, have been on the wrong side of a gun twice, low-performing high school-school (fights, gangs, stabbings, etc.)
    • this is honestly probably the greatest obstacle i've overcome, but feel like its already pretty well established in my primary app, plus I worry it is perceived as a pity party.
Thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

I would say that you could really merge number 1 and number 3 pretty well. Since you haver already addressed number 3 in your PS (I'm assuming?) maybe just tell one brief story about it in the obstacle essay, but make the focus on how you continued to overcome throughout your post-secondary education in order to achieve your goals. You could even add a snippet of number 2 in toward the end to tie it all together. Obviously this all depends on the word/character count that you're shooting for.

Reactions: 1 user
I would say that you could really merge number 1 and number 3 pretty well. Since you haver already addressed number 3 in your PS (I'm assuming?) maybe just tell one brief story about it in the obstacle essay, but make the focus on how you continued to overcome throughout your post-secondary education in order to achieve your goals. You could even add a snippet of number 2 in toward the end to tie it all together. Obviously this all depends on the word/character count that you're shooting for.
Hey really appreciate the suggestion, this is exactly the type of idea I was looking for. Already working on another combined draft that appears better than any of them separated.

Re word count: these are all for 500+ word prompts. I have another topic for the 250 words or less prompts—the topics I shared here are just too tough for me to condense that shortly.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think 3 is appropriate for self-identified disadvantaged essay. If you have to repeat it as a stand-alone essay, so be it.

It sounds like the prompt wants an example of a specific challenge or problem? If 1 influenced 2, you could have something, but I need details.

Reactions: 1 user
I think 3 is appropriate for self-identified disadvantaged essay. If you have to repeat it as a stand-alone essay, so be it.

It sounds like the prompt wants an example of a specific challenge or problem? If 1 influenced 2, you could have something, but I need details.
Noted—though I already submitted my primary—My disadvantaged essay did not cover those topics, it was more focused on money, working to provide for the family, housing instability, and homelessness. Hopefully a future reader of this thread can benefit from knowing to include that.

1 definitely can segue into 2

Couple example prompts:

1. Describe your experience with the field of medicine (or a related field) that has prepared you for advanced study in this area. Specifically, how have your life experiences prepared you to pursue a degree in medicine, including coursework, clinical work, experiences in overcoming adversity, work opportunity, volunteer activities, and/or research experiences?
 (500 words)
  2. Describe an obstacle you’ve overcome and how it defined you (500 words)

Concur

Reactions: 1 users