Secondary pictures

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

IlyaR

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
OCBD took casual? Or white shirt/tie?

Members don't see this ad.

Probably a good idea to shave also.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Head and top of shoulders in interview attire, smiling.

So I understand why, and I'm very frustrated at myself for already submitting a ton of secondaries with a picture in an OCBD. Well-groomed, showered, passport style, I guess for some reason I didn't even think about putting on interview attire. How detrimental is this? Big issue?

So I understand why, and I'm very frustrated at myself for already submitting a ton of secondaries with a picture in an OCBD. Well-groomed, showered, passport style, I guess for some reason I didn't even think about putting on interview attire. How detrimental is this? Big issue?
You will still look more professional than most.

Buy a white coat online and wear that. It'll show adcoms how confident you are.

Reactions: 2 users
you've completely and uterly destroyed your chances

Thanks for reminding me. Do not wear scrubs or a lab coat. Do not wear a stethoscope around your neck. Do not send a photo scrubbed into a case.

Reactions: 2 users
Thanks for reminding me. Do not wear scrubs or a lab coat. Do not wear a stethoscope around your neck. Do not send a photo of you scrubbed into a case.

this actually happens??

What is OBCD? Totally confused here because google didnt come up with anything

Members don't see this ad :)
What is OBCD? Totally confused here because google didnt come up with anything
*OCBD - Oxford cloth button down. The oxford-style dress shirts with a button-down collar.

I just submitted a cropped version of my staff pic they took at the university where I work. I assume if it's good enough for a professional job, its good enough for identification in an application.

Wear your nicest tank top, snapback and a pair of expensive shades. They will know what you look like when you walk in the interview. The picture is to show off your swag.

I sent in a couple with me outside while hiking in a t-shirt with necklaces on, and I sent the rest with a photo of me in a dress shirt and blazer. I will let you know the results.

I was abroad while secondaries were coming in, there are no Walgreens hanging around and so I was really excited when I randomly found a photography place on the side of the street one day. I was dressed in a sleeveless top, so I ended up asking for the digital version and photoshopping a convincing blazer looking thing into it. I'll get back to you on how that fares...

Last edited:
Unprofessional like... bleeding from an open wound on your forehead with a bird stuck in your hair?

For us ladies, what looks more professional for our hair? Should we have some sort of conservative up-do, or should we leave is down and tidy?

Imagine the least professional photos possible, or photos consistent with an entirely different profession...
Would you say that the nature of the photograph correlates to the quality of the application?

Thanks for reminding me. Do not wear scrubs or a lab coat. Do not wear a stethoscope around your neck. Do not send a photo scrubbed into a case.

I just took individual pictures with different tank tops that read "(insert school name) Class of 2019"...

So my picture is one of my head and shoulders, wearing a T-shirt and smiling. But I stupidly forgot to shave. My facial hair isn't messy but it's there. Is that still ok?

So my picture is one of my head and shoulders, wearing a T-shirt and smiling. But I stupidly forgot to shave. My facial hair isn't messy but it's there. Is that still ok?

In a similar vein, I have somewhat sensitive skin and haven't completely shaved since I was probably 14. I'm willing to shave for my photos, but probably not for every interview, so I'm leaning toward staying consistent and keeping a very short, well-groomed beard for all of the above. Is this a bad idea?

In a similar vein, I have somewhat sensitive skin and haven't completely shaved since I was probably 14. I'm willing to shave for my photos, but probably not for every interview, so I'm leaning toward staying consistent and keeping a very short, well-groomed beard for all of the above. Is this a bad idea?
The adcoms will always say shave, but if you have never shaved in your adult life I would say just do it as neat as possible. I wouldn't think interviews are the time to try something new like that...

This topic comes up way more than I would have ever suspected. Use some common sense; professional school, professional look.

This topic comes up way more than I would have ever suspected. Use some common sense; professional school, professional look.

It took me more than 15 seconds to think of a male PI in my department without some sort of facial hair...

They can do whatever they want with their facial hair as long as their grant gets funded.
You?

Touché.

I suppose I'll have to wait to be an Adcom myself to change this tide.

My biggest concern was hiding my brightly colored dyed underside of my hair for that picture. I didn't even think of dressing in interview clothes. At least I wore a business attire top. :/

Just looked it up: Oxford cotton button down. Acronyms these days...
Pardon, I used to post a lot on a style forum and it was a really common term there