Secondary Prompt: Diversity Essay

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted1100717

I've been really struggling to write my diversity essay, but I think I've come up with a decent angle for it. I'm a straight white male that hasn't faced any particularly unique challenges, so I'm really looking for anything interesting to write about.

The best idea that I have so far is talking about a parent who is a physician running a practice. I know the general advice isn't to talk about parent physicians, because it doesn't say anything about me, but hear me out...

I haven't mentioned this parent anywhere else in my application, so I feel that there's plenty of stuff in my PS, W/A to justify my desire to become a physician outside of my parent. I think I could spin this as granting me a unique perspective on all of the red tape and regulation that surrounds modern medicine. Talk about how through my experience in my primary, I've identified my passion for clinical care, but also say that I have realistic expectations surrounding the lifestyle and paperwork that physicians deal with on a regular basis. I can also talk about the challenges that I have seen in running the business side of a private practice while also trying to practice medicine. This kind of gives me a unique perspective over someone who doesn't realize all of the formalities associated with dealing with insurance, etc. It also gives me a good jumping off point to acknowledge the priviledge I've had growing up with access to a physician parent, and the valuable connections I have as a result, and say that I hope to help get people involved in medicine who do not have these same connections.

I know this probably isn't the best idea for a diversity essay, but it feels like my best option. (My alternative idea is writing about an engineering internship I had with a big biotech company and talking about how this gives me a different perspective on the integration of medicine and technology.) The rest of my app is strong I think, and I'm hoping this is good enough to not raise any flags on the diversity essay. Looking for any thoughts, and want to make sure writing about this wouldn't be a big red flag or something. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

The best idea that I have so far is talking about a parent who is a physician running a practice. I know the general advice isn't to talk about parent physicians, because it doesn't say anything about me, but hear me out...
There are tons of med students who parent(s) are physicians. So this is a deal breaker.
I haven't mentioned this parent anywhere else in my application, so I feel that there's plenty of stuff in my PS, W/A to justify my desire to become a physician outside of my parent. I think I could spin this as granting me a unique perspective on all of the red tape and regulation that surrounds modern medicine. Talk about how through my experience in my primary, I've identified my passion for clinical care, but also say that I have realistic expectations surrounding the lifestyle and paperwork that physicians deal with on a regular basis. I can also talk about the challenges that I have seen in running the business side of a private practice while also trying to practice medicine. This kind of gives me a unique perspective over someone who doesn't realize all of the formalities associated with dealing with insurance, etc. It also gives me a good jumping off point to acknowledge the priviledge I've had growing up with access to a physician parent, and the valuable connections I have as a result, and say that I hope to help get people involved in medicine who do not have these same connections.

I know this probably isn't the best idea for a diversity essay, but it feels like my best option. (My alternative idea is writing about an engineering internship I had with a big biotech company and talking about how this gives me a different perspective on the integration of medicine and technology.) The rest of my app is strong I think, and I'm hoping this is good enough to not raise any flags on the diversity essay. Looking for any thoughts, and want to make sure writing about this wouldn't be a big red flag or something. Thanks!
Introspection is a required trait for a doctor.
Try again

I've been really struggling to write my diversity essay, but I think I've come up with a decent angle for it. I'm a straight white male that hasn't faced any particularly unique challenges, so I'm really looking for anything interesting to write about.

I don't think that having a physician parent says anything about diversity or your experience with it. Bio engineering is slightly better. What is the exact prompt?

Diversity of thought goes a long way imo. Many premeds just go through the motions in terms of coursework, education etc.

Reactions: 1 user