secondary question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

whatsupdoc

Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
What do you think about using my decision to change careers and become a doctor in reply to the "relate a difficult decision that you've had to make" question that appears on numerous applications. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks.
 
I think if you spin it right, it could be okay. However, you want to be careful. By saying it's a difficult decision, it can make you look like you were/are unsure of your decision. You certainly want to avoid that or at the very least go out of your way to make sure the committee knows you're %100 sure NOW! I would probably avoid it out of caution, and try to find something that would be similar to the difficult decisions that doctors must face. I think it's always best to answer every essay in terms of "why I'll be a great doctor," whenever possible.