Section bank ps 65

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

taeyeonlover

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
A person looking at the night sky notices she no longner sees a dim star when her gaze remains fixated on it, but the dim star reappears when she shifts her gaze to one side of the star. What is the most likely cause of the reappearance of the sun star in her vision? Shifting her gaze moved the image of the dim star

Away from the blind spot where no photoreceptors are present

To a region of retina here photoreceptors have a higher threshold for light detection

Away from the fovea toward the periphery of the retina

To a region of the eye where
photoreceptors contain more than one type of retinal pigment

I am wondering why the answer is not A?
Is the question referring the peripheral vision?

The answer is c

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Members don't see this ad.

A person looking at the night sky notices she no longner sees a dim star when her gaze remains fixated on it, but the dim star reappears when she shifts her gaze to one side of the star. What is the most likely cause of the reappearance of the sun star in her vision? Shifting her gaze moved the image of the dim star

Away from the blind spot where no photoreceptors are present

To a region of retina here photoreceptors have a higher threshold for light detection

Away from the fovea toward the periphery of the retina

To a region of the eye where
photoreceptors contain more than one type of retinal pigment

I am wondering why the answer is not A?
Is the question referring the peripheral vision?

The answer is c

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey! I made the same mistake as you (unfortunately). I was just going over it now as well (good timing!!). I think looking back at it more clearly, a more in-depth look at the question helps with the answer.
Firstly: "no longer sees a dim star when her gaze remains fixated on it". This likely implies that she saw it earlier upon initial gaze at it, but her perception of it disappeared over time. Also the reference to the "dim" star. Going with this assumption, it would be reasonable to guess that it was not originally at the blind spot or else it wouldn't be an issue of "no longer sees" so much as it would have been "never saw". In hindsight this makes a lot more sense. Also with a "dim" star, the rods would definitely be more suitable for detecting this sort of stimulus.
At least, that is how I'm approaching it. Hope that helps!

Reactions: 5 users