Security Systems

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Laryngophed

Supratentorial problems
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, I have been thinking because of the current times, my own fears, and some changing housing situations that I need to add a security system to my house.

Besides the Glock 30SF and the two dogs.

Tell me about your home security systems, what you like, don't like, what it costs, and what you wish it did.

Things I'd like are remote monitoring for me and a company, remote locking, and auto-alerting of authorities. That would be covering 2 standard doors, a sliding glass door, and 8 windows.

So let's hear some thoughts.

Members don't see this ad.

After someone smash-n-grabbed some things out of my wife's car while it was parked overnight in our driveway, we put up some security cameras.

IP cameras have gotten cheap and good in the last 5 years. Any old computer can run the DVR software. Super easy to do.

They're a nice deterrent as well.

I got a Arlo (made by netgear). Got 3 wireless cameras. They sell them in 1,2,3,4 camera packages

I got the 3 camera wireless arlo for $299 sams club Black Friday.

Costco selling the 2 camera package for $269.99. Can add another camera for another $100.

Got them mounted in front and back (swimming pool area)

And one in main living room.

Great for Amazon package deliveries! We know when they come. They got app to notify u on iPhone/android as well.

Can check on baby sitter as well

Members don't see this ad :)
I have 10 Netgear Arlo/Arlo Pro cameras covering my property outside and entry doors. I'd prefer to have wired PoE cameras, but can't/won't run wires throughout the whole house so had to settle for wireless cameras. System works ok. Biggest downside is that there's a significant lag with detecting motion and starting recording. Many times it records only deliveryman leaving the front door. As a work around, I have the front door camera start recording when another camera detects motion on the driveway to start recording the front door a few seconds earlier. A year of cloud service and 10 camera support was I think $90 a year.

House came installed by builder with a home security system by a local company. Sensors on all windows and doors, and I had them add several motion sensors to cover the entire first floor. Monitoring costs $28 per month. I accidentally set off the alarm many times when I first moved in. The monitoring company takes 30s to 2m to respond by calling me before calling the police. A few times they call so fast I can't get to the phone in time and when I call them back to tell them it was false alarm, they've already called the police. The city sent me a warning for first offense and so I've been less forgetful about the alarm ever since.

I think Netgear has some indoor wired cameras as well which I may or may not get. I also have some Dlink indoor cameras to remotely monitor pets when needed, but I don't have it set up to constantly record.

I don't use any smart locks. I'm not convinced that they can't be easily hacked. And there's YouTube videos of how they're mechanically poorly designed and easily defeated.

Last edited:
I have a home security system with central monitoring. With the push of a button the police will arrive in 3-5 minutes. I used a local company for the installation and I have motion detectors as well. All doors and windows have sensors installed.

Honestly, the cost isn't that expensive for the peace of mind. When I take call at night I know my family is protected with the whole home security system in addition to Smith and Wesson.;)

Home Alarms & Security Systems | Home Automation & Surveillance Company ADT

il_fullxfull.754104605_qdo5.jpg

Where I'm moving Comcast/Xfinity offers a home security service bundled with their cable/internet. Anyone have this?

Price will triple after the first year promo expires, then 10% yearly increase after that. And half the sensors will no longer function unless you upgrade to a higher tier package.

Reactions: 1 users
I have 5 blink cameras that run on wifi at my house. Easy install. Wireless cameras. No monthly charge.

In addition there's a whole bunch of guns. I have an XDM 9mm and my wife has a SW Victory 22 handgun. Rifles, shotguns and a dog.

Q-See cameras are easy to use and a good value. I installed mine during construction but had to redo them after a lightning strike. I have a Protection One monitored system as well. Both have iPhone apps for remote manipulation.

I was thinking of getting the Arlo Q - sounds like people are happy with their Arlo cameras?

(I'm also pondering a Ruger SR-9)

Since you're getting mostly DIY suggestions...I'll offer an alternative

Been using Vivint for the last year +. Been pretty happy with it - installation options were very customizable and customer service has been great.

Positives: Phone app works well; no need for landline; monitoring response from our own stupidity (ie false alarms or the smoke alarm from my cooking) has been within 15-20 seconds; alarm panel functionality is good; installation tech was able to use window/door sensors left behind by previous owners without additional cost; Hardware options were extensive from cameras to glass breaks to carbon monoxide detectors to doorbell cams.

Negatives: Doorbell cam sensitivity is an issue - either the wind blowing the trees across the street triggers a notification, or I can stand in front of it and do jumping jacks without anything happening; had to sign a 4 year contract to get the best monthly rate; inconsistent methods of reaching out to me when alarm triggers (sometimes it's through the panel, sometimes they call); alerts for inclement weather are annoying and difficult to dismiss.

Unknowns: don't know Fire/police response times to my house (thankfully).

Where I'm moving Comcast/Xfinity offers a home security service bundled with their cable/internet. Anyone have this?

For extremely basic stuff, it might work ok. But we have that package now and it's really just a little magnetic sensor on doors and windows that trip when opened and the alarm is armed. We live in a very safe neighborhood of a very safe suburb, so it's sufficient for us. It's definitely not serious security though.

ADT 7 cameras with DVD recording all, motion detector lights around the perimeter and with the cameras, glass breakage detectors in each room, door magnetic sensors every door, motion detectors everywhere inside with multiple zones. Using some common sense helps- always park a car in the garage, windows locked in the house, lighting inside the house, display of ADT signs, etc.

Simplisafe for security - NO commitment and you purchase what you want. I got 10 door sensors, four motion sensors and a few others for <$300. You can choose how much you want/don't want each month (you can monitor it yourself versus a central monitoring). We've had the central and they have been fantastic.

I also use Blink as a camera system. I've been quite happy and they are cheap and require no monthly fee. I use it mostly as a backup to the simplisafe system.