See yourself 10 years from now?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mjs16

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am working on the UVA secondary and was looking for some suggestions. The second question is,
"Briefly describe yourself and your medical career as you see it ten years from now."
I really don't know what type of medicine I want to practice yet and was planning on going into school with an open mind hoping to figure that out. So how do I answer this question? Should I just make something up? That worries me though because what if an interviewer were to ask me specific questions about that career and about why I chose it. Anyone else have trouble with this?

Members don't see this ad.

UTSW has same question...I just talked about my interest in public health and academix medicine, as well as my interest in surgery...I think if you simply show that you have atleast some idea of what medicine is about but leave your options open you will be ok..I was fairly specific but I have most of my life planned out..

I did that secondary and the interview that followed. Just write something that you'd be willing to back up if questioned. I don't know anyone that was asked a question about their answer to that question and if they do ask you just say something that you can back up. I personally think it is stupid for them to ask you a question like that when you have yet to go through all of your rotations.

Members don't see this ad :)
Lol, they asked me this one when I interviewed last year. Of course I said I wanted to be a practicing position at that point, but then they asked what else would I be doing, what are my long term goals? At that point I was like....uh...potentially investing in some sort of business or maybe restore a few cars... Anyone have a good answer to this one? lol :laugh:

i mean you must have thought about it before you applied right? your future vision of yourself as a doctor.

in 10 years i said i would probably be finishing up residency in some field of pediatrics and getting ready to work for a children's hospital. later on down the road set up a practice/clinic with some of my other close friends that are currently in the healthcare field.

I had the same dilemma. I ended up writing that I was looking forward to being exposed to different fields in medicine (i.e. I haven't decided on one yet). Then I wrote what I am pretty sure about, such as: I want to work in a group setting, I'd like to do clinical research, etc. I think in that one I also wrote about a few specialties I'd considered and why they appealed to me.

I got an interview, so it must have been OK. One of my interviewers asked me a similar question, and I pretty much reiterated the above, I think. We'll see if that works out!