Do MD schools see MD/PhD essay from primary?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

McApple

Reaction score
If I applied to some schools as solely MD, will they be able to see the MD/PhD essays in the primary application? Also, since I'm already verified, if I resubmit with the MD/PhD essays, does that cause it to have to go back into review? Thanks all!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
You need to be a bit more specific. The data from your application will go to the school, so it's a question of who reads the essays. There are ways that the MD/PhD program admissions committee will see these essays separate from the main MD committee, but it depends on policy.

You need to be a bit more specific. The data from your application will go to the school, so it's a question of who reads the essays. There are ways that the MD/PhD program admissions committee will see these essays separate from the main MD committee, but it depends on policy.
Thanks for the reply. Let's say I applied to solely MD to Virginia, but then MD/PhD at UC Davis. Would Virginia be able to read the Md/PhD essay that was in the primary application?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the reply. Let's say I applied to solely MD to Virginia, but then MD/PhD at UC Davis. Would Virginia be able to read the Md/PhD essay that was in the primary application?
I presume their MSTP adcom cannot if you did not intend to apply to their MSTP program. The MD questions only get seen by the MD adcoms. It's all in the data configuration on the school's side.

Why are you worried about this?

I'm worried that the schools I applied MD only would view it as unfavorable because I "wouldn't be happy" with just a MD.

I'm worried that the schools I applied MD only would view it as unfavorable because I "wouldn't be happy" with just a MD.
Depends on the school, but I don't think the adcoms will think much of it. They should not have access to your MD/PhD essay, and they won't know you applied MD/PhD.

Maybe some faculty wanted to know if you wanted an MBA, JD, MPH, or MS. They might as well ask you in an interview. In other words, I don't think you should worry about it. There are challenges with central applications where you can't be more precise with each school until you get to secondaries and interviews. Just be honest with your possible interests. We don't expect you to specialize before going to medical school.