Seeing a lot of pediatrics

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tatabox80

Super-Duper Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
How realistic is it to see about 40% pediatric patients in a city that has a large number of pediatricians I am a pgy-1 in family medicine, and although I enjoy it, I wonder if i will be able to see as much pediatrics as I want when I am done. Do any of you know of any examples of people who see large numbers of peds as an fp?

Members don't see this ad.

The number of children being seen by family physicians has been declining in recent years, for a variety of reasons. A good overview article is here:

Caring for Children: Re-examining the Family Physician's Role
http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/508748

There are some good practice-building tips at the end of the article.

How realistic is it to see about 40% pediatric patients in a city that has a large number of pediatricians I am a pgy-1 in family medicine, and although I enjoy it, I wonder if i will be able to see as much pediatrics as I want when I am done. Do any of you know of any examples of people who see large numbers of peds as an fp?

I've tried to increase the number of children in our practice primarily via word of mouth. I enjoy children, and do tend to joke around with them when they accompany their parents on their own visits, and I've picked up a few pediatric patients this way.

Mostly, you probably need to offer something that their current pediatrician can't...for a new physician this will probably be "time". You'll need to give them more time than a busy pediatrician. Do this at the expense of patients you don't like seeing. (Spend 20 to 25 minutes with your pediatric patients, and 5-10 minutes with your "cough for 1 day" Z-pack seekers). And call parents personally with test results, a rarity in a busy pediatricians office.

Also, many pediatricans have moved to hiring mid-levels, which can be a potential selling point for a new physician who can guarantee the child will see an actual doctor every visit.

Ultimately, make sure parents know you will collaborate with a pediatrician if the child is seriously ill or carries an uncertain diagnosis.

Just my 2 cents for what it's worth.

I've been told that the best way to see kids is to deliver babies.