PhD/PsyD Seeing Patients Across States

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Newropsych

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
A couple of questions regarding seeing patients in multiple states:

1. Are psychologists allowed to see patients in the state they are licensed in but when the psychologist is physically located out of the state? For example, a psychologist is licensed in State A and the patient is located in State A but the psychologist is located in State B.

2. Similarly, do they have to be licensed in State B? I have some colleagues in CA that say they can be licensed in CA and located outside of CA (without being licensed in State B) to see patients. I’m wondering if this is the same for other states.

Members don't see this ad.

1. My understanding is that there is no easy answer here—depends on states A and B and their laws/regulations. If the psychologist is temporarily in another state, it’s possible but depends. Both states are supposed to be in agreement (via their separate regulations) that it is okay, otherwise this would be a call to your risk management/malpractice insurer.

For example, see this FAQ for CA:

I’m not sure about #2. Are you saying they can permanently practice outside of the state they’re licensed in?

This is a tricky topic!

Reactions: 1 user
The safest way is that the psychologist needs to be licensed both where they physically are and where the patient physically is. If you're physically located in another state (State B) and are practicing psychology while there, regardless of where your patient is located, you're bound by State B's regulations. If State B allows temporary practice (which may or may not require clearing it first with their board), great. If not, you can't practice while in that state without being licensed there.

For #2, unless your friends are licensed in the state where they're practicing (let's say State B), I believe they're wrong and, without a license in State B, they're practicing psychology there without a license. But as always, check each state's regulations.

Members don't see this ad :)
I see patients across all over the 30+ PSYPACT-participating states. I am licensed in Texas and Ohio and have PSYPACT...that's all you need to see folks outside of your state (as long as your state participates in PSYPACT which allows you to apply for PSYPACT qualification).

Regarding your question about CA - the only way that scenario would be feasible is if that person is licensed in CA but also another state that participates in PSYPACT and actually has the PSYPACT qualification. However, PSYPACT requires you to select a home state for which you are primarily delivering your services from to a patient located outside of your home state. For example, while I can practice tele-psych in Florida (they just joined 07/01), I cannot live in Florida and see Florida patients remotely....I would have to reside in my home state and deliver services, which for me, is Texas (even tho I am licensed in Ohio and Ohio participates in PSYPACT). Thus, that colleague in CA would need to be licensed in a PSYPACT state, residing and delivering services from that state to a patient located outside of that state remotely. They could not do so from CA (as far as I know).

And ditto to what others said about needing licensure in both states (if you don't have PSYPACT).

Reactions: 1 users
Thanks all for the feedback! I’ll double check regulations and check with state boards.