Seeking Advice...3.98 GPA 27 MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LetsGo352

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hey there,

well I think most people are gonna tell you to retake, and thats pretty much right since that 7 is gonna really hurt you. You have a very impressive application, so if you can bring that mcat up to a 30-32 youre golden. But yes, I would say definitely retake asap.

hey there,

well i think most people are gonna tell you to retake, and thats pretty much right since that 7 is gonna really hurt you. You have a very impressive application, so if you can bring that mcat up to a 30-32 youre golden. But yes, i would say definitely retake asap.

+1

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, i figured as much. Thanks for the replies!

I have a 3.98 cGPA and 3.95 sGPA...however, I did terrible on the MCAT with a 27 (PS 11, VR 7, BS 9). I have 4 years of research with multiple publications and probably average volunteering/shadowing. I want to apply to the Florida schools and am really targeting UCF, USF, and UF. Should I retake?

I know several people who got in with a 10-10-7 and 3.8+ GPA....however I have to agree with others.

I got in with a 3.98/30, and I told myself there is no way I would apply with less than a 29.

I have a 3.93 and received a 27 on my MCAT (also a 7 in Verbal.) That said, I did not retake (it's a moot point now) and had ECs similar to yours. I received 7 invites, got accepted to UCF & Drexel and waitlisted at 5 others (including UM.) If you really feel as though you have it in you, you should try & retake. I know my 27 kept me out of interviews at UF & USF, but I was so burned out, I didn't think I could take it again. It worked out for me(I just graduated from UF), and will be attending UCF in August!

Last edited:
I have a 3.93 and received a 27 on my MCAT (also a 7 in Verbal.) That said, I did not retake (it's a moot point now) and had ECs similar to yours. I received 7 invites, got accepted to UCF & Drexel and waitlisted at 5 others (including UM.) If you really feel as though you have it in you, you should try & retake. I know my 27 kept me out of interviews at UF & USF, but I was so burned out, I didn't think I could take it again. It worked out for me(I just graduated from UF), and will be attending UCF in August!

Great, congrats.
FYI to the OP, you will find very few schools worth applying to (ie. you have a chance based on your residency or applicant volume) that don't screen out 7's.

I agree with everyone that your chances would be alot better if you had a 32 or thereabouts MCAT.

The main point I would make is what were your practice averages and did you REALLY try to do your best on this MCAT?

If you were in the 32 range on practice tests, then I would suggest a retake. But, whatever, you cant go down.

You are at the lowest number I accept as okay with that GPA. I would also add that taking it a second time made me feel MUCH more comfortable and I performed 6 points better.

So, determine where you are my little scenario and take the appropriate action. :thumbup:

I was averaging about 29-30 on the practice tests, but honestly, I didn't work as hard as I could have on the first test. Looks like I'll plan a july test and work my butt of this time.

very nice on the GPA!

that said, i would retake it just so you can more choices when you apply and you dont get automatically screened out. of course, retake it only if you are definitely sure you can score better in VR and the whole test. i think a good number of schools only consider (or at least weigh more heavily) your most best scores.

so prepare yourself, and rock that test this time around. i retook it, and i have to say that it was easier (compared to the first time anwyay) the second time around