Seeking Advice About Neuropsychology Boarding

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Psychmeout

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just a quick question regarding training for Neuropsych, specifically for ABCN board certification. Here is the position that I am in. I recently was accepted to an APA internship within a psychiatric state hospital. There are opportunities to receive neuropsych training, and, the staff have worked with former interns to obtain enough training to meet Houston's guidelines for training in Neuropsychology. After completion of internship, I would like to obtain a post-doc at a University medical setting, as I would like to work within that setting for my career devoting 50% time to research, 50% time to clinical work/supervision/consultation.

My question is, am I on the right track to achieving that goal? Is it okay to receive neuropsych training at a state hospital if you want to eventually move to the medical setting. I will have 5 publications by the time I finish my pre-doc internship, as I have 2 published, 1 under review, and 2 in preparation. However, only one of these publications are specific to the neuropsych realm. The rest of them are focused on forensic-related issues.

Any advice would be helpful, particularly for those who are neuropsychologist, or are in post-doc training for neuropsychology.

Members don't see this ad.

Within ABPP as a whole the internship has become a lost piece of the training in many ways. There is a split between boards that frankly should not exists (group, CBT, Behavioral, Psychoanal, etc) as they are proficiencies as defined by CRSPP in the APA and those that have become more of stand alone specialties (Forensics, Neuro, School, Rehab, Health). You could certainly argue any one specifically one way or another but the idea of proficiency and specialty are not mine, so direct these concerns to APA. Having said all that, Neuro really moved away from any real NP requirements at the internship level and basically just says "enough to meet the needs of the site" and "APA-accredited". The issue is the more broad application of the HCG. If you had some foundation training in neuroanatomy, neuropathology, assessment, intervention, research and applied experience (i.e. practica) then it is less of an issue how much NP you do on internship. Still, every bit helps when you consider the small number of fellowship sites available. You don't have to go to an APPCN fellowship, but if you do, the exit criteria is "preparation for ABCN" so you'll have little worry in terms of your credentials. If you don't, then the burden is on you to demonstrate how your training meets the HCG guidelines.

The issue is the more broad application of the HCG. If you had some foundation training in neuroanatomy, neuropathology, assessment, intervention, research and applied experience (i.e. practica) then it is less of an issue how much NP you do on internship. Still, every bit helps when you consider the small number of fellowship sites available. You don't have to go to an APPCN fellowship, but if you do, the exit criteria is "preparation for ABCN" so you'll have little worry in terms of your credentials. If you don't, then the burden is on you to demonstrate how your training meets the HCG guidelines.

Thank you for your response Neuro-Dr. Yes, I have taken courses in neuroanatomy, neuropathology and pharmacology. I worked in a TBI center which allowed me the opportunity to be exposed to a wide range of brain injury. I plan to fight my way to obtain enough neuropsych experience so that I can land an APPCN fellowship. My goal is to be a "real neuropsychologist." Not simply a clinical psychologist who administeres a few neuropsych tests. My interests within neuropsychology are more of research, assessment, and rehabilitation work with TBI and psychiatric populations.

One last question, how much do publications matter that are specific to neuropsych in order to obtain an APPCN fellowship? Don't get me wrong, I have some pubs under my belt; however, they are more forensic related. Sorry if this sounds like a ridiculous question, but I am trying to make sure that I am competitive when it comes time to applying for post-doc.

Is it okay to receive neuropsych training at a state hospital if you want to eventually move to the medical setting.

Who you work with is far more important than where you work. It is very common for neuropsychologists to change work environments (e.g. VA to major university hospital). If at all possible, you want your supervisors to be ABPP neuropsychologists.

One last question, how much do publications matter that are specific to neuropsych in order to obtain an APPCN fellowship?

Anything you can do to demonstrate a neuropsychology background will help. However, publications at the pre-doc level, especially first author, suggest strong research skills and will always help. Publications are great, but a strong ABPP neuropsychologist advocate will get you much farther than anything else. Neuropsychology is an incredibly small field. Get your name out, and get involved. As long as you are working with neuropsychologists who are active in the neuropsychology community, I'm sure things will work out. APPCN fellowships, for the most, are excellent, but there are many great postdocs that choose not to participate and will prepare you just as well for ABPP.