seeking advice for future job prospects...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
If they can't keep a NP...then the issue isn't really one of NP versus MD. The problem is with the job in some manner.
 
Yes this is the same at my academic institution. the pay is lower because if your academic position whereas the NP is not academic. academic NPs make less.

If they are working you too hard clinically than it won’t be worth it. The trade off for the lower pay should be that you aren’t having to see as many pts, residents writing notes, seeing more complicated/interesting pts, having mentorship, working in an intellectually stimulating environment, and having opportunities that you won’t get elsewhere (eg educational leadership, research etc) if you don’t get these things or they don’t matter to you then you should leave. also you should have opportunities to supplement your income (that doesn’t include weekend or overnight work) such as faculty practice, chart reviews, productions educational content, item writing, consulting, expert witness work etc.

You always need to have one foot out the door. Things are going well for me currently. I don’t have to see more than 1 pt per half day typically but the obsession with productivity that has been infecting academic medical centers without a commensurate rise in pay I think means that many academic departments will struggle to recruit and retain psychiatrists. Even the NPs are leaving now!!
For me, it is 0.9 fte based on clinical work (so i need to devote 36hours to seeing patients and 4 hours to everything else including charting, attending meetings, research, teaching, etc) and i have to perform above 50th percentile of national average for RVU to keep my job. I do not get extra compensation unless i see more patients for after hours service. I do get a small amount of bonus for "academic activities" such as publishing papers.

What are your thoughts?
 
For me, it is 0.9 fte based on clinical work (so i need to devote 36hours to seeing patients and 4 hours to everything else including charting, attending meetings, research, teaching, etc) and i have to perform above 50th percentile of national average for RVU to keep my job. I do not get extra compensation unless i see more patients for after hours service. I do get a small amount of bonus for "academic activities" such as publishing papers.

What are your thoughts?
You can feel free to pm me with additional info like where you are but this does not sound typical at all. What are they claiming above 50%ile RVUs are because your salary is below 25th %ile for psych. In my experience most academic institutions do not expect you to meet your RVUs. If they want you to work above the median then they need to pay for it. I’m on an rvu schedule for half my time and I told them flat out I could not and would not meet the ridiculous rvu expectations the hospital was setting and they said that was fine. I would have quit otherwise.

btw in the real word 32 clinical hours is considered full time (ie equal to 40hr week). So your patient hours should be less in academics in order to account for the other things you are required to do.

you can also look at the AAMC data to see if they are screwing you over even more.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
haha maybe I should start doing that... I dunno why but I feel so guilty (?) correcting the patients because at my institution you are hammered with "NPs are your colleagues who are equal to you" slogan... NP residents go around introducing themselves as "I'm a psych resident" Maybe i'm being brainwashed by my institution
If you are aware that the NPs are lying to the patients and they are introducing themselves as psych resident and you didn't report them, then you are part of the problem honestly.
 
If you are aware that the NPs are lying to the patients and they are introducing themselves as psych resident and you didn't report them, then you are part of the problem honestly.
You know what i speculate would happen if i "reported" them? I would probably get some lecture by some admin "they are psych np residents, they just forgot got say np, they are not lying, whats the difference anyways?" and "you are not a good teamplayer, all healthcare workers are equal" bs. I am not naive enough to believe that i can change the system, the best i can do is to try to save myself.
 
You know what i speculate would happen if i "reported" them? I would probably get some lecture by some admin "they are psych np residents, they just forgot got say np, they are not lying, whats the difference anyways?" and "you are not a good teamplayer, all healthcare workers are equal" bs. I am not naive enough to believe that i can change the system, the best i can do is to try to save myself.
In many states including yours it is illegal for NPs to misrepresent themselves and for organizations to mislead patients about the professional qualifications of the person they are seeing. So actually, you would be breaking the law if you didn’t correct this and your organization has to pay back any patient fees for services provided by an NP if they patient didn’t know it was an NP. they also may be subject to additional fines.
 
You know what i speculate would happen if i "reported" them? I would probably get some lecture by some admin "they are psych np residents, they just forgot got say np, they are not lying, whats the difference anyways?" and "you are not a good teamplayer, all healthcare workers are equal" bs. I am not naive enough to believe that i can change the system, the best i can do is to try to save myself.
With how bad your job is I really hope you’re trolling..otherwise it’s very good you are on here because you need a serious reality check and to make big decisions to improve your situation ..I wish you the best and things can significantly improve for you
 
With how bad your job is I really hope you’re trolling..otherwise it’s very good you are on here because you need a serious reality check and to make big decisions to improve your situation ..I wish you the best and things can significantly improve for you
I hope i were trolling too but no... I feel like im in some twilight zone... I need to escape...