Fresh M1 looking to set myself up for success but lack direction. Seeking advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

IntoTheNight

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
At my state school (low-mid tier) and it is pass/fail so from what I understand there's not much chance for me to differentiate myself.

As it stands it seems like research is one way to stand out but honestly I haven't had the greatest experiences with it.

Is there any other way to stand out? For example in undergrad, I know some people were "service-oriented" or "public-health" oriented, but I'm not sure how transferrable that is here.

Members don't see this ad.

Nothing that will really help for competitive residencies if that’s what you mean by stand out. Research and academics are pretty much all that matters. Volunteering and ECs are just to check the box pretty much

At my state school (low-mid tier) and it is pass/fail so from what I understand there's not much chance for me to differentiate myself.

As it stands it seems like research is one way to stand out but honestly I haven't had the greatest experiences with it.

Is there any other way to stand out? For example in undergrad, I know some people were "service-oriented" or "public-health" oriented, but I'm not sure how transferrable that is here.
Once you get first semester down and are thriving in med school, start networking. Obviously, this ramps up big time in your clinical years,but you can start in pre-clinical.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
First priority is to avoid differentiating yourself in a bad way, so make sure you're squared away academically and comfortably passing. If you are able to do so, consider really pushing yourself and aiming to be the top student in the class or near to it. Often schools maintain internal ranking and things like AOA may be partly derived from it. But you absolutely must have your academics settled before even considering devoting time to anything else. If you start flunking classes or - god forbid - flunking a step exam, then you're really screwed. So don't differentiate yourself in a bad way.

Beyond that, I'm afraid to say that in the current model, research is king. This is not only because you get pubs, but also because it leads to close relationships with faculty and stronger letters.

For now, your best move after solidifying your academics is to figure out what you want to do. If you really want to do rural family medicine, then you can more or less hit the easy button and match well and be just fine. If you develop a love of orthopedic surgery or dermatology, then you have more work ahead of you. If you can pick a field early, you'll have more time to build a strong application compared to those who discover the field halfway through their 3rd year.

But then, you're going to have to suck it up and do some research. No way around it. Even if you're service or public health oriented, you'll need to have something tangible to show for it. A friend of mine did incredible public health work in sub-saharan Africa, wrote it up and presented it at the WHO -- now that kind of public health work would be noticed. But he also published multiple papers about the project in the research literature. In reality, it's much easier to bang out some chart reviews than it is to do meaningful work in service or public health.

Reactions: 4 users
The only thing that service and volunteering will help you with is GHHS and AOA, which will help you to stand out for competitive specialties. Everything said above regarding academics. You can start shadowing at your home program to figure out what you might be interested in and get a mentor in that specialty from your program. I can't tell you how much this helps if you have this opportunity at your school, especially if they are a PD and are well known at other programs. GL.

Just chill out. You will figure out what you want to do. You literally can’t force it.

Do well in classes. Go above and beyond in clinicals. Do clinical research, write case studies. Get active in class leadership, groups, etc. You have 3.5 years to worry about all this. Take it one step at a time.