Seeking advice, is it too late to apply?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kilegna

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I am planning on applying to optometry school this cycle to enter fall 2018. I have started my application and the only things missing are my OAT & Personal statement.
I am currently studying to take my OAT last week of October. My GPA is low (2.81) so I am relying on getting a good score and hopefully with my work/ shadowing experience of 7 years it might make my application better.
I know that applying early works towards your favor as an applicant, but I was wondering if submitting my application last week of October is too late for this cycle?
Thank you for your help!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
July to August is usually considered early but October isn't too late. Try your best to get a good OAT score to help your application, Good luck !

I am in the same boat as you with the low GPA and stressing if I' too late already, I wrote my OAT's in May but my score wasn't what I hoped so i'm re-writing December 1st. But read so many forums and the large majority (about 90%) said to apply right now, as soon as possible even without your OAT scores, and just send them over your scores when you finish. I will be applying in the next week- two weeks and will be sending over my new OAT score later on. The majority of people got interviews with no OAT score so apply ASAP.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am in the same boat as you with the low GPA and stressing if I' too late already, I wrote my OAT's in May but my score wasn't what I hoped so i'm re-writing December 1st. But read so many forums and the large majority (about 90%) said to apply right now, as soon as possible even without your OAT scores, and just send them over your scores when you finish. I will be applying in the next week- two weeks and will be sending over my new OAT score later on. The majority of people got interviews with no OAT score so apply ASAP.

I thought of that too but my concern is that due to my low GPA they will reject my application without giving me a change to submit my OAT score. So I'm afraid of loosing an opportunity just to submit early. Have you thought of that?

July to August is usually considered early but October isn't too late. Try your best to get a good OAT score to help your application, Good luck !

Thank you for your advice. What do you think about applying with a low GPA score without my OAT yet?

Thank you for your advice. What do you think about applying with a low GPA score without my OAT yet?
I'm not sure, it may be better to submit right after you take the OAT or before. It might be best to contact the schools you are applying to.

Im interested to know more about this too!! Please let me know if you find out

I went to SUNY's "OAT Bootcamp" over the summer and the admissions assistant told us that November is still considered early! I also emailed NECO and Salus about this and NECO said the same thing but Salus said November is not considered early but it is not late either.

Reactions: 1 users
I went to SUNY's "OAT Bootcamp" over the summer and the admissions assistant told us that November is still considered early! I also emailed NECO and Salus about this and NECO said the same thing but Salus said November is not considered early but it is not late either.
Thank you so much for answering that helps me alot!

Reactions: 1 users
Im interested to know more about this too!! Please let me know if you find out
I found out that most schools will put on hold your application until they receive your OAT score if you decide to apply without it

Would you guys know any schools that place more importance on the OAT? I know SCCO, does but when I call other schools, they don’t really give a straightforward answer:/

Would you guys know any schools that place more importance on the OAT? I know SCCO, does but when I call other schools, they don’t really give a straightforward answer:/
From the conversations I've had with different schools, if your GPA is really low they want to see a 320+ on you OAT as well nothing below a 300+ per section.