Seeking advice on GPA and grad school apps

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rinu586

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi I'm new to this forum, but find that it has a lot of useful information.

I am a recent graduate from the U. of Rochester. I graduated with a 2.97 overall GPA and a 3.4 GPA for my major (public health). I am currently working with a Hospital for EMS. I am planning on going to grad school soon, but am having trouble making the decision because my overall GPA is low. I want to get my MPH in health policy and management. I am thinking of taking my GRES in February 2009 then applying to schools for Fall 2009 enrollment. Do you think that's a good step to take or should I get some more work experience? I would love to hear what everyone thinks. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I would recommend you take the GRE sooner if you are planning on applying to schools for Fall 2009. Many of the accredited schools of public health have approcahing deadlines or have deadlines that have already passed. The more work experience the better, of course, but I would definitely suggest applying as soon as possible even if your GPA isn't as high as you would like. A strong GRE score makes up for some discrepancies in your application. Also a strong personal statement is important because SPH want to know that you are completely committed to their program. On a side note, I'm currently a student at the U of R.
Hopefully that helps a little.

Which HPM track do you want to pursue? Policy or Management? I would recommend getting work experience in something more related to the track you're interested in. Are you 100% sure that you want to apply for Fall 2009?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi, I definitely agree that you should take the GREs earlier than February if you want to apply for Fall 09 enrollment. Although most schools do insist that applicants have a 3.0 GPA minimum, maybe they will forgive your 2.97 in light of other parts of your application. I would let them know why your overall GPA is so much lower than your public health GPA and explain the reasons that you would make a great addition to their next class. Don't get discouraged from applying - what do you lose by submitting your application now (as long as it is well-prepared)? While completing your apps and waiting for a decision, continue to build upon your experience.

If they do reject you, maybe contact them and ask why (even if you know why). If you don't get in, you'll be able to add that contact name to your improved application. They will appreciate that you remained committed to their program the 2nd time around and will probably remember the conversation when assessing your re-application.

Thank you so much for the help. I am actually beginning to think that I really don't have enough time to prepare before the February test. Does anyone know when the deadline usually is for Spring 2010 applications?

The reason why my overall GPA is low because I was pre-med the first two years of undergrad and then I became more interested in the public health aspect and switched over.

Thank you so much for the help. I am actually beginning to think that I really don't have enough time to prepare before the February test. Does anyone know when the deadline usually is for Spring 2010 applications?

The reason why my overall GPA is low because I was pre-med the first two years of undergrad and then I became more interested in the public health aspect and switched over.
There are not very many schools that allow spring admission. You should look into it ASAP, though, so that you can make the deadlines.

Sort of a side note: I did not prepare at all for the GRE and by far exceeded the recommended 1000. If you feel like your math (calculus, etc.) skills are decent and that you are comfortable with the verbal section, you don't need to spend several months preparing. You might want to look into GRE prep books.

I agree. I did study for the GRE, but think I could have broken 1000 without any preparation. Not b/c I'm smart, but b/c 1000 is not a very good score.

If you study full time for 3 weeks, you should get at least 700Q 550V. That's not off the chart, but good enough for some MPH programs.