Decline grad school for fellowship?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tmae1126

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, I have a bit of a dilemma on my hands.

I took a gap year after graduating from college, and I thought I was going to go straight to grad school after. I got accepted to multiple programs, and I already declined all of the programs except one.

Here’s the problem: I also applied to the CDC Public Health Associate program and I made it to the interview stage! And now, I changed my mind about going to grad school and I’d like to get more experience on my hands. Unfortunately, we won’t know if we get the position by July. Point is: there might be a chance I might decline the school after I accept my intent to go there if I get into the program. I know that grad schools (I applied to both public health and heath administration) allow deferment for only a year, but I’d like to have a backup plan just in case I don’t get the fellowship (which is go to grad school).

So let’s say if I do get the fellowship, should I just be honest with the school I accepted and tell them I want to do the fellowship? Or take a risk and decline the school and I hope I get the fellowship?

If I do the former, I just hope that this won’t hinder me from other schools considering my application the next time I apply to grad school. I’m applying right after the fellowship, and this time I INTEND to go back to school.

Any advice helps, thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Totally agree with @rosemary_. Schools have probably had students in this situation before and won't find the request unusual.

Second (or third) the advice above. I was accepted to an MBA program this past school year. Accepted and submitted my intent to register. Then received a job offer that required relocation, so... I'm out $250 deposit and some time applying, but they were more than understanding.