Seeking Advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

toothdds

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I was wondering if I could get some of your advice on my current dilemma. So I decided to take this fall semester off of school to study for the DAT and my test is coming up in January but I have not gotten through all of Bio yet and have not practiced reading. Should I still try and take the exam in January even though I might get low scores on those two areas, or should I take a other semester off?

And does it look bad to admissions that I take time off to study? Should I instead just finish school then spend the time studying after I graduate?

Thank you so much, any advice you could offer me would be great!

Members don't see this ad.

Advice #1: Only take the DAT when you feel ready. Don't unnecessarily risk a low score on any attempt.

Advice #2: Yeah, take the extra semester off if you need to. You already committed a fair amount of time to studying, and if you interrupt your study schedule, you may lose all the progress you've made. If you do end up taking next semester off, you should try to get some extracurricular hours in so you look more productive.

Reactions: 1 user
Advice #1: Only take the DAT when you feel ready. Don't unnecessarily risk a low score on any attempt.

Advice #2: Yeah, take the extra semester off if you need to. You already committed a fair amount of time to studying, and if you interrupt your study schedule, you may lose all the progress you've made. If you do end up taking next semester off, you should try to get some extracurricular hours in so you look more productive.

Ok great thank you for the advice

Hello,

I was wondering if I could get some of your advice on my current dilemma. So I decided to take this fall semester off of school to study for the DAT and my test is coming up in January but I have not gotten through all of Bio yet and have not practiced reading. Should I still try and take the exam in January even though I might get low scores on those two areas, or should I take a other semester off?

And does it look bad to admissions that I take time off to study? Should I instead just finish school then spend the time studying after I graduate?

Thank you so much, any advice you could offer me would be great!

Admissions does not care if you take time off to study, on the other hand they do want to see a nice DAT score and GPA.

The best advice I can give a student is , "Do not take the exam until you feel fully prepared in all sections." The DAT exam is VERY challenging and not a test you want to take more than once.

Just my 2 cents

Wishing you the best...

Nancy

Members don't see this ad :)
Admissions does not care if you take time off to study, on the other hand they do want to see a nice DAT score and GPA.

The best advice I can give a student is , "Do not take the exam until you feel fully prepared in all sections." The DAT exam is VERY challenging and not a test you want to take more than once.

Just my 2 cents

Wishing you the best...

Nancy

Thank you so much for responding and offering me advice! I really appreciate it!

Would any of your advice change if I also mentioned that about 2 years ago due to a medical condition I had to withdraw from school so I have 3 W's (Chem, Bio, and Calc I) on my transcript. Then I went and attended another university and received another W (in Bio). But since then I have maintained a good GPA, retook both Gen Chem and Bio and got A's in them and now I took this semester off so I am just afraid if I take off another one it might not look so good. But I am also afraid if I stop studying now I really will forget all of the work I worked so hard to study now up to this point.

Thank you!