Seeking Answers

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NDS

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I'm just starting to consider optometry, and I was wondering if someone can asnwer some basic questions:
1. Do OD/PhD or DO/MS program pay for their student tuition? for those doing the combined degrees, please let me know the pros/cons of your programs.
2. If I take the OAT in October, can I apply in Sept and ask the schools for wait for my OAT, since my GPA is competitive? how long does it take for the score to come back?
3. are there community service programs that will pay for tution if you serve in underserved communities?
4. what kind of recommendations are required? I've been out of college for three years now, and it'd be difficult for me to get science professor recommendations.
6. Do they require to have some optometry experience (volunteer?) before applying?

that's all for now :) Thanks a lot in advance for answering.

Members don't see this ad.

NDS said:
Hi everyone,
I'm just starting to consider optometry, and I was wondering if someone can asnwer some basic questions:
1. Do OD/PhD or DO/MS program pay for their student tuition? for those doing the combined degrees, please let me know the pros/cons of your programs.
2. If I take the OAT in October, can I apply in Sept and ask the schools for wait for my OAT, since my GPA is competitive? how long does it take for the score to come back?
3. are there community service programs that will pay for tution if you serve in underserved communities?
4. what kind of recommendations are required? I've been out of college for three years now, and it'd be difficult for me to get science professor recommendations.
6. Do they require to have some optometry experience (volunteer?) before applying?

that's all for now :) Thanks a lot in advance for answering.

I'm not 100% sure.. but then herez my opinion/answers to some of ur Q

2.) yes, the school can wait for your OAT, if your gpa is competitive, they'll interview you b4 you have your OAT score. Usually it takes 6 weeks for the OAT to arrive (the written one ofx)
4.) Hmm, TA letters with the professors' signatures are fine for some schools. I know PCO lets you petition the committee to consider non prof letters, but trust me..that's not much use... they still prefer Prof's LOR
5.) Much preferred.. I say go volunteer for sure. Some schools require you to have a 30 hrs observation by a practicing OD. (oregon, ICO etcC)

my 0.02

Cheerz,

Katalio

Hi,

I'll try to answer some of your questions.

Although you haven't taken the OAT yet, you can apply without the scores. They just keep a file with all your materials. I think some people who applied w/o their scores even got an interview. I would highly recommend applying as early as possible. It gets more competitive later on in the year. I applied pretty late, like beginning of Jan. As there was a 30% increase in the number of applicants, schools were clamping down on their acceptance rates to save some room for potential applicants who hadn't interviewed yet (ex. SUNY).

If you take the paper OAT, it takes about 6-8 weeks. I know...just to score a stupid scantron! But if you take the computerized OAT, you can get your scores right afterwards!

Most schools require 3 LOR, but some differ a little bit. So you should check each school individually. But most of the time, they want an OD, science area, and extracurricular.

At the minimum, try to shadow several optometrists in different types of settings and who specialize in different areas. It would be to your advantage to volunteer or work at an office.

Good luck!

Ning-Ju

Members don't see this ad :)
First thanks so much for your replies! Few more questions :)
1) now the OAT is going to be computerized, does that mean I can take it anytime after Oct 15th (the last written one) and this way get my scores sooner?!
2) does anyone want to sell me their study guides for OAT? I heard they don't have good ones out there, so I might just study the MCAT material? if anyone has study material that can be sent electronically, that'll be great, since I'm on vacation at another country right now.
3) can I defer my entrance by a year after I got accepted?

Hey,

I think most people found the TopScorePro cd to be quite helpful. It contains around 4 computerized tests and you can take the sections individually as well. Although it was $50, it's much cheaper than taking one of those review courses!
I'm out of state right now, so I don't have access to it. You can always order it online at Amazon.

I also studied from a MCAT book, one of those thick fat ones. If I needed more review, I would look at my school textbook and notes.

I'm actually not too sure if they're going to keep the written OAT since they already have the computerized one. I think many people, including me, still prefer the written one. I'm also not sure what the dates are for the computerized OAT. I would think it would be offered much more often like the DAT or GRE. You can check at the AOA website or contact the testing center.

Ning-Ju

NDS said:
At SUNY, the MS portion of the OD/MS program is paid for since it can be completed concurrently with the OD degree. I'm not certain about the OD/PhD program, though, since it takes more than 4 years.

Absolutely. You don't need to spend a lot of time doing it, but the schools need to know that you understand the profession.

1) now the OAT is going to be computerized, does that mean I can take it anytime after Oct 15th (the last written one) and this way get my scores sooner?!
No, because your score is based on how you did compared to everyone else who takes the OAT on the same exam date -- it's not an absolute score.

Good luck! :luck:

1. so how many hours on average should I voulnteer?

I have both the TopScore cdrom and the Kaplan OAT review notes + all practice exams and subject tests, and no longer need them.

PM me if you are interested....

Katalio said:
I'm not 100% sure.. but then herez my opinion/answers to some of ur Q

2.) yes, the school can wait for your OAT, if your gpa is competitive, they'll interview you b4 you have your OAT score. Usually it takes 6 weeks for the OAT to arrive (the written one ofx)
4.) Hmm, TA letters with the professors' signatures are fine for some schools. I know PCO lets you petition the committee to consider non prof letters, but trust me..that's not much use... they still prefer Prof's LOR
5.) Much preferred.. I say go volunteer for sure. Some schools require you to have a 30 hrs observation by a practicing OD. (oregon, ICO etcC)

my 0.02

Cheerz,

Katalio

hi there,

you mentioned the committee. in my previous school they had a committee for such things but i wasn't clear as to which committee you mean, the school you are applying to or the school you are an undergraduate student of. i wanted to ask because I have been out of school (for a year) and so I am not sure as to how to go about doing the committee like they had in my old school or should i just manage my own applications. Would really appreciate anyone's advice...Thanks!

quick questions again:
1) can I defer my entrance by a year after I get accepted?
2) how many hours should i volunteer?

NDS said:
1. so how many hours on average should I voulnteer?
Many people don't volunteer -- it's usually sufficient to just shadow an OD or two. It helps if you can say you've seen a couple modes of practice, like maybe a group practice and a commercial setting, for example. Admissions committees just want to see that you understand what the profession is about. I spent a couple afternoons visiting two different types of practices on my own, plus I went along with my friends and family to their eye appointments.

As far as deferring your acceptance -- I know someone who deferred her acceptance for one year, but it was with special circumstances (having a baby). That would be a good question to ask the specific schools you are interested in attending.

Does anyone else out there know people who could defer at their school?