Seeking ideas for research recruitment for teens

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ChannelingBobMarley

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I know it's peak internship/postdoc application time, but I was hoping to get some advice for participant recruitment. I have a study looking at mental health outcomes in LGBTQ+ teens ages 12-18 that's completely online, anonymous, and does not require parental consent. I have advertised to different reddit threads, but those only get so many participants. Does anyone out there have any advice or suggestions for other places to advertise?

Thank you in advance for your help!

Members don't see this ad.

Reddit and those groups are not useful to recruit from for populations like sexual minority folks. They get bombarded with requests, and go look at some of the surveys sometime--a lot of them are terrible, have typos, list trans as an option under sexual orientation, or other things that disincline folks from participating in those at all. Plus, that recruitment strategy harkens backs to the days of dropping into a community, using them for data, and then never doing anything to help the community. Having a lab that has an established connection to local groups is a much better plan, and even then I only ask those organizations if I have a grant and can pay the participants and the organization.

Reactions: 1 user
I used tumblr (exclusively) when recruiting for my diss, though that was for LGBTQ+ adults. It worked very well, though it was a qual study so I wasn't shooting for a high N.

Members don't see this ad :)
What about the LGBTQ+ clubs at high schools? Most would have an Advisor (teacher) in place that could let the kids know about the study. Obviously would require a few phone calls but there may even be a national body for Advisors of this kind.

Just googled - Try the gsanetwork.org

Try contacting the relevant professional organizations: the Trevor project, etc. There’s one I also conflate with the the rain network, the acronym sounds similar, but it’s not rain.

Look at the GSM data set, to see if you don’t need to collect data.

Pride organizations.