Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi SDN,
I desperately need your advice. I am getting married at the end of the year to a girl who lives in Ecuador. She will just turn 20 and I will be 27 when we marry. I am an Ecuadorian American and have spent a great deal with her there, plus Skype has been god sent for us.
A little about her, after graduating from high school with honors she decided to become a cosmetologist to later combine it with a full degree in Nutrition. She graduated first in her class and now works doing events for a large cosmetics company while taking 4 hour private English lessons a day.
Being that she loves chemistry and has done well in school, I suggested she look into the PhamD program once we get married and she comes to live with me in NYC. She loved the idea until I mentioned the six year part and the cost. She also wasnt too crazy about leaving her cosmetologist title behind. With a nutrition degree she could have applied both titles into one career.
As for me I have a 6 figure salary, no debt, but only about 20k saved up for a rainy day and 60k in my 401k. Its also worth noting that NYC is an expensive place to live and my salary doesnt go as far as in other places. Things may get better as I stop spending 25-30K a year on trips to Ecuador 🙂 though. In other words, the costs people estimate for a full PharmD degree would be out of my reach while keeping my lifestyle and my own career plans (I am also considering my Masters and opening a side business). How should I plan for this? Should she go all out on loans? My credit isnt spectacular having only one credit card my whole life. Would she get any financial aid or grants being married to a person with a high salary and the fact that shes only a legal resident not a citizen? I would appreciate any help on this. Another big issue is kids. She wants kids in 2-3 years time. I want them in 4 years. They would have to wait 7 years at least if she takes up the program
I was looking into the St. John program, which seems like the best pharmacy program in NYC and I am afraid, given my fiancée is coming from another country, that her grades and achievements will not be given much value. Also, her English is poor as she is still aggressively works on it and I hope this doesnt hinder her acceptance into the school. Are there any requirements ( e.g. SATs), she may need to have in order to apply? I have heard she will not require the TOEFL since she is a legal resident but not sure what she needs exactly. I am planning on talking to admissions next week. The problem is their website doesnt have much detail on this or I havent been able to find it.
Thanks
I desperately need your advice. I am getting married at the end of the year to a girl who lives in Ecuador. She will just turn 20 and I will be 27 when we marry. I am an Ecuadorian American and have spent a great deal with her there, plus Skype has been god sent for us.
A little about her, after graduating from high school with honors she decided to become a cosmetologist to later combine it with a full degree in Nutrition. She graduated first in her class and now works doing events for a large cosmetics company while taking 4 hour private English lessons a day.
Being that she loves chemistry and has done well in school, I suggested she look into the PhamD program once we get married and she comes to live with me in NYC. She loved the idea until I mentioned the six year part and the cost. She also wasnt too crazy about leaving her cosmetologist title behind. With a nutrition degree she could have applied both titles into one career.
As for me I have a 6 figure salary, no debt, but only about 20k saved up for a rainy day and 60k in my 401k. Its also worth noting that NYC is an expensive place to live and my salary doesnt go as far as in other places. Things may get better as I stop spending 25-30K a year on trips to Ecuador 🙂 though. In other words, the costs people estimate for a full PharmD degree would be out of my reach while keeping my lifestyle and my own career plans (I am also considering my Masters and opening a side business). How should I plan for this? Should she go all out on loans? My credit isnt spectacular having only one credit card my whole life. Would she get any financial aid or grants being married to a person with a high salary and the fact that shes only a legal resident not a citizen? I would appreciate any help on this. Another big issue is kids. She wants kids in 2-3 years time. I want them in 4 years. They would have to wait 7 years at least if she takes up the program
I was looking into the St. John program, which seems like the best pharmacy program in NYC and I am afraid, given my fiancée is coming from another country, that her grades and achievements will not be given much value. Also, her English is poor as she is still aggressively works on it and I hope this doesnt hinder her acceptance into the school. Are there any requirements ( e.g. SATs), she may need to have in order to apply? I have heard she will not require the TOEFL since she is a legal resident but not sure what she needs exactly. I am planning on talking to admissions next week. The problem is their website doesnt have much detail on this or I havent been able to find it.
Thanks