Seeking PT academic faculty position, looking for insight from other faculty

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

2BPTFaculty

New Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Like the post says, I'm hoping to gain further insight in to PT academic faculty life. This is a topic that I've extensively researched and is really difficult to get candid insight from current faculty. I've been pursuing and interested in teaching for several years and have found this decision to give up what would appear to others as an ideal autonomous OP private practice career.... very painful to make. Not to mention I have financial interest in my current practice, but lack control. I'm feeling strongly that a career in academe is my calling. For the sake of being brief, there are many components of the "business" of physical therapy that do not impress or motivate me, even as a shareholder. This transition would likely mean terminating my current business relationship completely and include a physical move.

I would like candid view points and opinions on faculty life in PT education specifically.

What is the overall time commitment/ typical workday or day in the life of a new faculty? With a 12 month tenured position, how does vacation time work into the schedule? I assume that the academic calender will offer some guide, but I also understand that service to the profession and other faculty responsibilities will affect that. Freedom is of course very important to me, and while I have extensive vacation time from being a long-time employee I have to thing that there are perks of academic life that people value more than just compensation.

I do not currently have a terminal degree and would be agreeing to do one concurrently with conditions of employment. Im motivated to do it, see it as a tremendous opportunity and Im actually excited about it, but how would this play into the typical workday?

Academic faculty typically do some clinical time as well to stay current. I'm assuming that this can augment the lower salaries typically given in academic environments, but how well does this normally play out?

What are the negatives of faculty appointment? What are the typical real and appreciable aministrative pressures? Are these enough to affect your decision in hindsight? What is the daily percieved stress load as opposed to a busy OP ortho environment with a high volume and dual PT/management duties?

How rewarding is your faculty position? Again, as painful as it may be to admit it...I wish to know your truth. Sometimes the amount of time, energy, and sacrifice put into a life goal will lead one to support their decision by default, but I'm hoping I can get a couple of personal opinions, here. This isnt usually something that your interviewers are unlikely to level with you on. I'm hoping the anonymity and reach of this site will afford me a few viewpoints.

I really appreciate any and all replies and further information.

Cheers,

2BPTFaculty
 
Quite a few views, but no replies...am I in the wrong arena here?

2BPTfaculty

You may be, I don't know that there are any faculty that frequent these boards. There are some practicing PTs and a lot of students and student hopefuls.