Seeking support on secondaries

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

b1huynh

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
With my personal statement, I spent a great deal of time planning and refining. (for example, I wove an intricate, but appropriate, theme into the piece). Now with secondaries coming in, I don't know how unique or outstanding I should make my essays. I suppose I'm just worried about how much time I shall have to devote to the numerous secondary essays.

Thank you for your support.
And Best wishes to you brave individuals taking the mcat tomarrow :) .

Members don't see this ad.

hi,

i think everybody goes through this dilemma. with each seconday, you face a trade off between getting the application submitted quickly and spending what you feel is an appropriate amount of time on the essays. but you know, i don't think anyone is ever COMPLETELY satisfied with their writing, no matter how much time you devote. at some point, you just have to say "ok, this essay basically gets across what i want to say." when you say that, STOP. and don't fret about it anymore. i find that my essays improve after 1, maybe 2 revisions. but after that, i start digging too deep, changing too many things, and undoing my good work.

the important thing to realize is that EVERYBODY goes through this. don't worry about not devoting enough time to the essays. i think med schools understand the time pressures we face and don't expect masterpieces, but rather simply thoughtful prose. anyway, good luck.

as many people will point out, the secondary essays are additional time when someone can give a more personal feel to their application, but at the same time, the earlier the secondaries are in, the better.

i personally am not spending a lot of time on my essays, most of the secondaries don't have really indept essays questions anyhow (seems to be more of a give me another $70 scheme than anything else), out of the 17 schools that i am applying to, i have only recieved a couple of essay question that required more than a paragraph to answer, i am concentrating more on getting across my point briefly and making sure that the grammar is up to par; i make sure that i have my dictionary handy.

Members don't see this ad :)
I totally hear you. The first secondary I did, I thought my essays were OK, but it took me a while to get it in. This last one I sent back two days later, but the NUMEROUS essays were...well, crap. I just get so sick of being all sweetness and light and repeating myself.

The stuff I write is true. I try to be open and honest. But good lord, I'M not even this interested in me! In fact, I'm supposed to be working on essays right now, not drinking beer and posting here!!

Originally posted by racergirl:
•The stuff I write is true. I try to be open and honest. But good lord, I'M not even this interested in me! In fact, I'm supposed to be working on essays right now, not drinking beer and posting here!!•

I thought you were spilling beer? ;)

Andrew

Thank you for your prompt responses!

My big issue currently is with an essay that is asking me to "completely, but concisely, provide a descriptive profile of myself." (An unlimited amount of space is provided, yikes!)

With the nature of this question, I can't help but think that I need to produce an elaborate, interesting picture of myself. With my personal statement, I of course mentioned it, but it was one big uphill battle, and as I mentioned before, I just don't know if I can spend a great deal of time on the essays.

Please let me know how you may have approached similar situations.

Thank you again :)

yikes! :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: that is one bitch of a question. what school asked you that?

i guess i would approach it by telling a story. maybe a day-in-the-life-of type of thing. or pick some interesting incident that forced you to take action/make a decision/face a dilemma. they like that sort of thing. i would stay away from just listing your different traits, quirks, and feelings. stories are usually much more interesting. good luck.

But remember to be concise! Do not let that unlimited amount of space be your undoing!

Yeah-- I think "complete" is code for "about a page." "concise" is code for "but not more than a page and a half!"

Thus far, I have recieved secondaries from the University of South Florida and University of Florida, both have questions similar to that (however, USF does not have a limit and UF does.)

Thanks for you suggestions!
Best wishes

While we're on the subject of getting secondaries done in a quick, concise manner...about how long is an appropriate amount of time to hang on to a secondary? I guess, what I'm asking is, how long is too long? I've done two, and my turnover time is running at about a week--mostly through sorting things out with my school about sending in the letters of rec...they have what seems to me to be an odd procedure with that. How long are the rest of y'all taking to turn in secondaries once you receive them? As always, thanks alot for your input!
:cool:

I send 'em out as fast as I get 'em done. I'm not worrying about the letters going out simultaneouly with the secondary. I'm still waiting on one letter, so the schools that need his letter will just get the letters later than the secondary.