Segue into Emergency Med?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

etothehizzo

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I'm a DO applying ACGME EM. I decided on this late in the game so I haven't got a SLOE yet. No interviews thus far, and I'm concerned about not matching. I hear people throwing around the idea of using Transitional Years, Prelim Gen Surg, or Prelim IM as a way to reapply more competitively to EM. Anyone have comments on this?

Members don't see this ad.

I'd cast a wide net. Adding programs is cheap (relatively speaking).

Last edited:
It's getting late in the interview invite phase with every passing day; you could consider adding programs but without a SLOE I think it's probably quite low yield. You want 10+ or so interviews so you can have 10 or so ranks. That's unlikely to happen now. I think the idea of looking for a transitional year is a good one. And I've heard it can be a great way to become competitive for EM in the following year. Even TRI's can be valuable I've heard. Perhaps @DocEspana can chime in since he has experience there?

Have you thought about FM? There are ways to get into the ER through FM; including EM fellowships. You might consider trying to scratch up a few FM interviews if that's a route you could see yourself being happy with.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, if I recall correctly DocEspana said he got more love from ACGME EM programs while doing his TRI than he did from AOA EM programs (i.e. AOA programs wanted him less with the TRI and ACGME programs wanted him more). I'm sure he can elaborate more.

Yeah, if I recall correctly DocEspana said he got more love from ACGME EM programs while doing his TRI than he did from AOA EM programs (i.e. AOA programs wanted him less with the TRI and ACGME programs wanted him more). I'm sure he can elaborate more.

This is true.

In the middle of a night shift that starts right now. I'll update the comment with much more details (if I remember) later. But the above is true.

Status
Not open for further replies.