Selecting a Major in AMCAS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BillrothI

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Everybody,

Quick question about the AMCAS.

If your major has a concentration (eg - biology with a concentration in neuro), are you supposed to just select "Biology" as your major or should you select "Other" and then manually enter the major with the concentration?

Thanks!

-Bill R.

Members don't see this ad.

I have literally the same question on the Neuro concentration (The concentration is listed on my official transcript. Will schools see it?)

Isn't there a way to select bio and then type in the actual official degree? I seem to remember selecting "music" but then typing in "orchestral instruments" or something like that. Maybe it's different this year though...

Members don't see this ad :)
Isn't there a way to select bio and then type in the actual official degree? I seem to remember selecting "music" but then typing in "orchestral instruments" or something like that. Maybe it's different this year though...

You can either select a degree from a drop down menu or put in "Other" and manually enter a degree. My primary degree does show up on the menu, but if I select that then there is no way to enter a concentration.

-Bill R.

Yes but this concentration, at least in my case, is listed on the transcript as "Neurobiology Option." Not sure what to do here

I think you should ABSOLUTELY put your major in exactly as it reads on your transcript. Don't over-generalize things.

For example: I got a minor in Writing. The closest option on the drop-down menu is "English", which is NOT the same thing.

Just bumping this, as there seem to be two completely different opinions here.

At my school, each concentration involves substantially different course work. I do feel a little bit 'short changed' if I don't get to include it on my application, but obviously the priority is making sure that everything is accurate and that the verification process goes as smoothly as possible.

Thanks for any input.

-Bill R.

Put whatever shows up on your transcript next to "major." If it is bio+concentration then fill it in under "other." If it is just bio and the concentration is listed elsewhere then just list bio.