Selecting Schools: 39O 3.9, CA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheGreyWarden

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,
I just picked out a list of schools and was hoping you all could give me some feedback (please and thank you!). Here's a little about me:

• Asian male from top UC (California resident)
• 3.9 oGPA and 3.9 sGPA
• 39R (15 P, 11 V, 13 B)
• 2 years research, good chance of 2 pubs by September
• Probably not interested in MD/PhD
• Interested in programs with good research opportunities and decent location; P/F first 2 years would be nice

My main goal is to get into a medical school on October 15 for the peace of mind and (hopefully) a top 20 by the end of the application cycle. Here are the schools I was thinking of applying to early June... anything I should add or throw out?

1. UCSF
2. UCLA
3. UCSD
4. Stanford
5. Case Western
6. Washington U
7. U of Michigan
8. Duke
9. U of Pittsburgh
10. U of Chicago
11. U of Virginia
12. Baylor
13. Boston
14. Indiana U
15. U of Pennsylvania
16. Harvard
17. Johns Hopkins
18. U of Washington
19. Yale
20. Columbia
21. UT Southwestern
22. U of Wisconsin
23. Northwestern

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You're fine, cut the list to 20 though. Remove any that you aren't super interested in that don't have oct 15 acceptances. Trust me on this, I didn't have someone to give me this advice and I ended up not even going to 10 interviews. Waste of their time and my 1000 bucks. Schedule rolling interviews before non-rolling ones so that you maximize your chances for an Oct 15th acceptance.

Also, I would wait until at least October 20th, some schools send paper and some schools don't accept immediately on the 15th (Case Western was on the 16th if I recall).

Members don't see this ad :)
You're fine, cut the list to 20 though. Remove any that you aren't super interested in that don't have oct 15 acceptances. Trust me on this, I didn't have someone to give me this advice and I ended up not even going to 10 interviews. Waste of their time and my 1000 bucks. Schedule rolling interviews before non-rolling ones so that you maximize your chances for an Oct 15th acceptance.

Also, I would wait until at least October 20th, some schools send paper and some schools don't accept immediately on the 15th (Case Western was on the 16th if I recall).

Thanks for the advice. I'll try to cut off some of my lower down schools that don't accept early. And yeah, I'll wait the extra 5 days until October 20th haha

In general though, see any holes in my app? I'm just hoping I'm not too weak for the high up schools and too strong for the lower down schools :confused:

What will you list for nonmedical community service?

My various teaching positions in the past couple years have all been unpaid, so I was going to use those. Also, my club leadership has been in organizations that do some community service. How does that sound?