Selecting the right answer

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kami

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
How many of you agree that usually the right answer is the one that you select the first time and making changes after you select the first time is probably going to be going be wrong.

Members don't see this ad.

Kami said:
How many of you agree that usually the right answer is the one that you select the first time and making changes after you select the first time is probably going to be going be wrong.

thats usually been the case with me. A big problem of mine has been overanalysing the question.

Kami said:

Many psychologists have studied this and found it to be true. The first "guess" is usually the correct one.

One thing that helped me a great deal when I took the MCAT was when I stopped thinking too much. I know it sounds counterintuitive, but trust me. When I first started taking practice tests, I did horrible. I found that I was thinking way too much into the question, and the answers were much simpler than I thought. I changed the way I took the test. I tried to input as little of my own information as I could, and instead used the passage more. My scored improved dramatically.

Kami said:

I know that it is true for most people, but not always with me. I kept track of my answers on all the practice exams I took and more often than not it was good that I changed the answers I did.

I also had times when I found myself overanalyzing- when I would be reading the problem over and over and getting hung up on minute details. When you find yourself doing this you need to make your best guess, move on, and come back later. Almost every time when I came back at the end and reread it I find something that I missed or I was reading into too deep.