Selection Criteria

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cyanocobalamin

M4
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering how the programs are picking candidates at this point without the mspe.

Many schools, like mine, are pass/fail all 4 years with no numeric or letter grading - evaluating a transcript full of Ps isn't that exciting. We have no class rank though we have honors in the 3rd year only, based on a nomination system (limited to a handful of students per rotation with a large fraction of the class getting none). The number of Hs is reflected in the key word at the end of the mspe (but not on transcripts I think).

So is it simply step 1 scores alone? Do they read the LORs and PSs at this stage?

Members don't see this ad.

Different programs have different formulas. Many use a formula where residents are rated numerically on several criteria, given a total score. This is then used as the baseline for the rank list, but discussion then shapes their final rank list. It's a similar process to the NCAA choosing which teams make their basketball tournament.

Some criteria that many programs likely use:
Grades
Board scores
Evidence of interest in PM+R
Research experience
Community service
Humanistic qualities
Evidence of interest in that specific program
Ability to work well with others

Programs used to rate residents on how many time they could bench 225 pounds, 40 time, shuttle run, and standing broad jump, but that approach is increasingly falling out of favor. The Wonderlich test is still popular, though