Selection of undergraduate institution

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tunage

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello All,

This is my first post, as you likely have seen. :) Just wanted an opinion on my issue with selecting an undergraduate school. I have browsed SDN several times before becoming a forum member and do realize that these topics have been discussed in the forums previously. However, I think my particular issue is slightly different than what I've been able to find using the search function.

I am in my first year of community college. I'm interested in being a science major, a biological science degree. I plan on completing my liberal arts courses at the CC leading to an AA and then transferring. As with most states, I have the option of going to one of my 3 state schools after completing the AA. Although, in my city, we have a college that has been around for a long time that one of my family members is employed by. As such, my discount on tuition is significant. The problem is this: the college (which I will not name) was bought in the last 2-3 years and has become for-profit. Most undergrad schools are not. Also, this school has a mixed reputation on their online programs. Their on-campus instructors have impressive credentials and past job positions. In your opinion, is the for-profit school and it's reputation online going to hurt my chances in medical school? Please know that this is not University of Phoenix :p

Sorry about the length of the post. Thanks for any help :)

Members don't see this ad.

Hello All,

This is my first post, as you likely have seen. :) Just wanted an opinion on my issue with selecting an undergraduate school. I have browsed SDN several times before becoming a forum member and do realize that these topics have been discussed in the forums previously. However, I think my particular issue is slightly different than what I've been able to find using the search function.

I am in my first year of community college. I'm interested in being a science major, a biological science degree. I plan on completing my liberal arts courses at the CC leading to an AA and then transferring. As with most states, I have the option of going to one of my 3 state schools after completing the AA. Although, in my city, we have a college that has been around for a long time that one of my family members is employed by. As such, my discount on tuition is significant. The problem is this: the college (which I will not name) was bought in the last 2-3 years and has become for-profit. Most undergrad schools are not. Also, this school has a mixed reputation on their online programs. Their on-campus instructors have impressive credentials and past job positions. In your opinion, is the for-profit school and it's reputation online going to hurt my chances in medical school? Please know that this is not University of Phoenix :p

Sorry about the length of the post. Thanks for any help :)

If you are going to go for a science degree, having filled most of your gen eds already, you will want to AVOID any online coursework. Do NOT take any science course online. As such, you should not consider this in your decision.

I don't see a big deal in for profit if it is reasonably priced! I could be wrong but to me this also seems like a non issue. Good luck in your choice.

If you are going to go for a science degree, having filled most of your gen eds already, you will want to AVOID any online coursework. Do NOT take any science course online. As such, you should not consider this in your decision.

I don't see a big deal in for profit if it is reasonably priced! I could be wrong but to me this also seems like a non issue. Good luck in your choice.

I apologize for not clarifying. Their science classes are not available online, nor their science degrees. I was just saying that they have an online section of the college that has many, many complaints. From that, I don't know if it would degrade my degree's validity.