Selectivity of Undergraduate School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
M

MCATSTUDYY

So in terms of medical school admissions what does selectivity of undergraduate institution mean? it seems like private medical schools put more weight on this than public ones. So meaning someone from larger School is better than smaller school in terms of that for public medical school? What about those who are part of a branch campus of a state school?

Members don't see this ad.

I agree that there is a great variety in this process. I, for one, went to a very small undergrad (<1000 students total) and then attended a top quartile allopathic medical school with an MCAT score just above the magic "30" that it used to be. I had other extracurricular activities that put me over the top, though. That said, doing well at a more well-recognized institution can only help your cause, but I just didn't feel that was the place for me (and I got a full ride).

I agree that there is a great variety in this process. I, for one, went to a very small undergrad (<1000 students total) and then attended a top quartile allopathic medical school with an MCAT score just above the magic "30" that it used to be. I had other extracurricular activities that put me over the top, though. That said, doing well at a more well-recognized institution can only help your cause, but I just didn't feel that was the place for me (and I got a full ride).
What about those who are apart of branch campuses?

I am not sure, to be honest. I would imagine that it would depend on the specific reputation of your branch campus. For example, I know that UNC-Chapel hill carries an extremely strong name while UNC-Pembroke, I am less familiar with. I think it would be the same for your interview/application committee where you apply.

Reactions: 1 user