Self-Doubt About Going Into Medicine - High Schooler

Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

bibivicenzo

New Member
5+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello! I am a junior in high school and I have suddenly become overcome with a wave of self-doubt. A classmate of mine is constantly talking about how smart she is and how great she is and while I typically ignore her, sometimes her words make me doubt myself Is my current high school transcript okay?

Freshman Yr:
Honors and AP Human Geography (Grades: AA Score: 4)

Sophmore Yr:
Honors, AP World History (Grades: AA Score: 3), and AP Psychology (Grades: AA Score: 4)

Junior Yr [1st Sem]:
AP Chemistry (Grades: BB)
AP Calculus AB (Grades: CC [I know - pretty bummed about this grade ]
AP Computer Science Principles (Grades: AA)
AP Eng. Lang (Grades: BB)
AP Environmental Science (Grades: AB)

I took the ACT for the first recently and got a 29 (hoping to improve).
I also take dual enrollment classes and am likely to graduate with my AA.
I do lots of medical based volunteering & I am the president/founder of HOSA at my school. My unweighted is about 3.73 and my weighted GPA is around 6.4 (making me number 5 out of about 700 students).
I SUCK at AP Chemistry, Physics, and Calculus. At the moment, I cannot conclude my poor performance in those classes are because I do not have enough time to focus on them (I have a very busy high school schedule) or if I truly do not understand them.
I have wanted to be a doctor (more specifically, I wish to go into surgery) for a long time but do my current grades show I am not good enough?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
You want to be a surgeon but you haven't yet performed open heart surgery with a ball point pen? And you're over halfway through high school? You're a late bloomer and might have trouble


For real though you're doing fine and it sounds like you're working hard. Keep it up in college, but enjoy life and don't stress so much
 
29 is the 93rd percentile, you did good enough! That’s how I did and with the mcat I got the same percentile in a much tougher group of other test takers. You have set yourself up well for college and don’t need to worry about things yet! Start college, take gen chem and gen bio, take biochem, and then you’ll have a better idea if you have what it takes. No one at your stage should count them self out - and especially not someone like you who is very high achieving!
 
Hello! I am a junior in high school and I have suddenly become overcome with a wave of self-doubt. A classmate of mine is constantly talking about how smart she is and how great she is and while I typically ignore her, sometimes her words make me doubt myself Is my current high school transcript okay?

Freshman Yr:
Honors and AP Human Geography (Grades: AA Score: 4)

Sophmore Yr:
Honors, AP World History (Grades: AA Score: 3), and AP Psychology (Grades: AA Score: 4)

Junior Yr [1st Sem]:
AP Chemistry (Grades: BB)
AP Calculus AB (Grades: CC [I know - pretty bummed about this grade ]
AP Computer Science Principles (Grades: AA)
AP Eng. Lang (Grades: BB)
AP Environmental Science (Grades: AB)

I took the ACT for the first recently and got a 29 (hoping to improve).
I also take dual enrollment classes and am likely to graduate with my AA.
I do lots of medical based volunteering & I am the president/founder of HOSA at my school. My unweighted is about 3.73 and my weighted GPA is around 6.4 (making me number 5 out of about 700 students).
I SUCK at AP Chemistry, Physics, and Calculus. At the moment, I cannot conclude my poor performance in those classes are because I do not have enough time to focus on them (I have a very busy high school schedule) or if I truly do not understand them.
I have wanted to be a doctor (more specifically, I wish to go into surgery) for a long time but do my current grades show I am not good enough?

Lol your junior schedule is kind of like mone i take ap chem and im in dual enrollment too. But sometimes u have to ignore those feelings and go for it. She's just bragging but u know what u are a capable of don't let some one words change your dreams cause i want to be a doctor too, and im not the smartest but i always try my best. You cant be like her, everyone is good at different stuff .at the end of the day you got to know if you really want it so you have to thrive for ur goals to be better
 
I know things like AP chemistry seem important to you right now, but trust me, they're not important in the grand scheme of things! Just do your best. No need to be worrying about medical school right now.
And if you're taking dual enrollment classes, know that you will need to report those grades to med schools, so take them seriously.
 
Hello! I am a junior in high school and I have suddenly become overcome with a wave of self-doubt. A classmate of mine is constantly talking about how smart she is and how great she is and while I typically ignore her, sometimes her words make me doubt myself Is my current high school transcript okay?

Your friend is just another insecure (or just obnoxious) high schooler.

Agree with most of above -- relax, get to college. Your self-doubt isn't really applicable to your actual chances at med school at this point.