Shadowing in the OR as a High Schooler?

What am I doing?

Reaction score
Is it possible to shadow in OR as a High Schooler?
Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

The surgeon would have to say "yes". There may also be institutional restrictions for legal reasons as well as issues around infection control, particularly in this pandemic/post-pandemic environment.

While your enthusiasm is appreciated, it might be best to start out as a hospital volunteer, learning the hospital policies, procedures, and hierarchy. You can build on that, perhaps even garnering a leadership position training new volunteers after you've been there a few years.

At some point, you may have an opportunity to have paid work in the hospital which shows that your service is valued enough that the hospital will pay you for it.

All of these (volunteerism, leadership, employment) are ways of building your list of work & activities that will eventually play a part in your college application and later your medical school application.

Reactions: 1 users
The surgeon would have to say "yes". There may also be institutional restrictions for legal reasons as well as issues around infection control, particularly in this pandemic/post-pandemic environment.

While your enthusiasm is appreciated, it might be best to start out as a hospital volunteer, learning the hospital policies, procedures, and hierarchy. You can build on that, perhaps even garnering a leadership position training new volunteers after you've been there a few years.

At some point, you may have an opportunity to have paid work in the hospital which shows that your service is valued enough that the hospital will pay you for it.

All of these (volunteerism, leadership, employment) are ways of building your list of work & activities that will eventually play a part in your college application and later your medical school application.
Yes, that's what I was thinking initial, but it would be soooo awesome if i could shadow in the OR just thinking abt it gets me jumping around

Members don't see this ad :)
See if there’s an AHEC chapter in your area. They coordinate educational & shadowing opportunities for high schoolers.

Reactions: 1 user
Some hospitals (like mine) only allow students who are in college or older.

Some hospitals (like mine) only allow students who are in college or older.
Well technically I'm in early college I'm just in HS in name but I'm actually going to my local college, I don't think that counts though

No, dual enrollment wouldn’t count. I worked at a hospital that had an agreement with a local college to take premed students for a special “winter study” course where they would shadow us for a month. Those students were permitted in the OR.

If you are not yet 18 years of age, you are going to have fewer opportunities open to you because you are a minor. Ask your school advisor(s) if they know of any local programs during the school year or during the summer that you might qualify for.

If you are not yet 18 years of age, you are going to have fewer opportunities open to you because you are a minor. Ask your school advisor(s) if they know of any local programs during the school year or during the summer that you might qualify for.
No, dual enrollment wouldn’t count. I worked at a hospital that had an agreement with a local college to take premed students for a special “winter study” course where they would shadow us for a month. Those students were permitted in the OR.
Yeah I have decided on just volunteering for now and hope to shadow in the OR when I graduate HS or something. Thanks alot though!

Reactions: 1 users
Is it possible to shadow in OR as a High Schooler?
Thanks!

yes, it is.
I've had HS students shadow me in the OR. It will be hospital dependent, but you also would need to do some legal paperwork and brief education on privacy, etc. before doing so. And your parents would have to sign off on it and understand you may see and hear things they may not normally want you exposed to. I personally have always had HS students whose parents worked in health care and thus really understood what shadowing may expose their kids to. I've also had multiple HS students not make it through the day with me due to passing out/getting ill/freaked out/etc.

yes, it is.
I've had HS students shadow me in the OR. It will be hospital dependent, but you also would need to do some legal paperwork and brief education on privacy, etc. before doing so. And your parents would have to sign off on it and understand you may see and hear things they may not normally want you exposed to. I personally have always had HS students whose parents worked in health care and thus really understood what shadowing may expose their kids to. I've also had multiple HS students not make it through the day with me due to passing out/getting ill/freaked out/etc.
Well, that's good to hear I was abt to lose all hope. But do you think I would need to know the surgeon personally? or could I maybe do it at one of the hospitals near me? My parents are fine with it, I'm gonna be a doc anyways, so seeing stuff sooner then later is better.