Self-education/staying up-to-date in private practice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EyeDigress

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm 2 years into practice and I'm curious how other attendings in private practice go about continuing to learn techniques, stay up-to-date on new technology, and continue to read the latest journal articles/publications since we aren't in an academic environment? Attending the annual academy and other subspecialty meetings helps, but what do you do on a daily/weekly/monthly basis to keep yourselves current with the latest in the field? What about the business aspect of practice? My own list of resources I sporadically utilize is below but I'd love to hear what other resources people use or strategies you have.

Journals: Ophthalmology, JAMA Ophthalmology, JCRS
Newsletters: OSN, CRSToday
Surgical Videos: EyeTube, CataractCoach, Interventional Mindset, perusing Youtube
FB Groups/Forums: Ophthalmology Coding and billing, Private Practice Physicians, SDN
Podcasts: CRST Podcast, Ophthalmology Against the Rule, Ophthalmology Off the Grid, Quicksand Chronicles, WhiteCoat Investor, Financial Residency

Members don't see this ad.

Wills eye and university of Toronto have educational ophtho videos on their website.

Last edited:
I'm 2 years into practice and I'm curious how other attendings in private practice go about continuing to learn techniques, stay up-to-date on new technology, and continue to read the latest journal articles/publications since we aren't in an academic environment? Attending the annual academy and other subspecialty meetings helps, but what do you do on a daily/weekly/monthly basis to keep yourselves current with the latest in the field? What about the business aspect of practice? My own list of resources I sporadically utilize is below but I'd love to hear what other resources people use or strategies you have.

Journals: Ophthalmology, JAMA Ophthalmology, JCRS
Newsletters: OSN, CRSToday
Surgical Videos: EyeTube, CataractCoach, Interventional Mindset, perusing Youtube
FB Groups/Forums: Ophthalmology Coding and billing, Private Practice Physicians, SDN
Podcasts: CRST Podcast, Ophthalmology Against the Rule, Ophthalmology Off the Grid, Quicksand Chronicles, WhiteCoat Investor, Financial Residency
List serves. At least for cornea keranet is incredible.