Self study physics 2 for MCAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drtribbiani

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Title says it all. I want to spend the summer of 2018 on MCAT studying so that I'll at least have the option of ideally taking it during the 2018 fall semester or even before (I graduate in spring 2020 and therefore am applying after the 2019 spring semester). However, I'm taking physics 2 during the 2018 fall semester, which means I'll have to self study it if I want to take the MCAT before/early-on that semester. I have a fairly strong understanding of physics 1 concepts, but am aware that physics 2 is very different and know almost nothing about it. Is it feasible to self study physics 2 and still score high on that specific section of the MCAT?

Members don't see this ad.

This is how I understand your timeline:
2018 - Summer/Fall: MCAT Attempt 1
2019 May: Primary submission
2020 Sept: Matriculation

Be careful of taking the MCAT too early Joey (or should I call you Matt). If you take it, say Aug 2018, it will only be valid until Aug 2021. Theoretically you should be in good shape, but if I may, I will offer a suggestion I have seen many trads take: Take the MCAT in Jan/Feb, aka 3-4 months before your application submission. In this way you will have covered Physics 2 (and I did get some Physics 2 questions on my MCAT), you will also have a period for dedicated study, and if you are forced to take a gap year or two for whatever reason (academics, financial, family, etc), your MCAT score will not expire.

The new timeline would be:
2018 Fall Semester: Light MCAT studying
2018 - Winter Break: Dedicated studying
2019 Jan: MCAT Attempt 1
2019 Feb: MCAT Score received
2019 March/Apr: Possible MCAT retake
2019 Apr/May: Receive retake score
2019 May: Send out Primary for verification
2019 June/July: Verified, screened, receive secondaries

Reactions: 1 user
Yes, you can do it. I didn't have Physics 2, but studied optics, circuitry, and other things from the guidebooks (EK and Kaplan) and was fine (129 CP). Figure out the topics and put in the work, it can be done.

Hi @drtribbiani -

Just a quick thought in addition to the input from others -- if you're self-studying physics 2 for the MCAT, be sure to use physics 2 resources for the MCAT, including practice materials. (This actually applies to physics 1 too, but it's especially important if you're self-studying it). The reason for this is that MCAT physics often has a slightly different 'flavor' than the way physics is taught in many classroom courses. College physics courses tend to focus more on derivation and often have you solve problems that are long and involved, potentially involving multiple equations and/or careful calculations. Instead, the MCAT tends to present shorter questions, where it's often trickier to figure out what they're asking for than it is to solve it once you know what to do. You also don't have a calculator on the MCAT, so you have to get very good with simple mental math and estimations. Incorporating practice into your study plan will help you get a sense for how physics is tested in addition to the raw content itself.

Best of luck!!

Members don't see this ad :)
I had physics 2 on my MCAT without taking physics 2 and still pulled off a 128 on the CP sub-section. It’s doable to self study, but I agree that Jan/Feb is a great time to take the MCAT.