Self-Study program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TigerEyes170

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm applying to PT programs and have inquired about a program in the UK that is accredited by CAPTE. The program is a 2 year Masters degree but does not have didactic course work and is mostly self-study and all practical based. Just wondering if any current US therapists have an opinion on this type of curriculum? Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

Anyone have any helpful advice?
I'm guessing this is Robert Gordon University? I couldn't find their NPTE pass rates. Do you know what they are?

Also, are you sure that they are "mostly self study"? Something about that strikes me as not-quite-right. I'm not sure offhand what CAPTE's requirements are, but given all the nonsense facetime that my program requires, it's hard to believe that they would give their blessing to a program that "does not have didactic coursework".

Members don't see this ad :)
I would be skeptical due to the fact its a Masters degree. I know a lot of practicing PT's with masters degrees are going back through a t-DPT program to get a doctorate due to Vision 2020 and its emphasis on non referral practice. The profession is shifting towards direct care and may require a doctorate degree in the future to provide this. You may want to consider a doctorate program but if its a cheaper program it may be worth the risk.

RGU has an agreement with a Univ in the US for 1 additional year of study to get a DPT.

It is RGU. I have inquired about NPTE pass rates but have yet to receive email. I have spoken to other US students that graduated from here and they confirmed the program is mainly self-study with very few lectures and no didactic coursework. No gross anatomy, pharmacology, neuroscience, etc didactic courses. Only practical based learning. I know other programs are moving towards PBL learning so was interested to hear opinions on these programs. RGU does have an agreement for DPT in Arizona after completing their program.

They have their pass rates up on their website. 96% first time, 100% ultimate. Their employment rates are there as well (I believe it was 100% in the U.S. and 76% in the EU, which they said was good given the U.K.'s current state).

that great,RGU has an agreement with a Univ in the US for 1 additional year of study to get a DPT.thanks
ab

that great,RGU has an agreement with a Univ in the US for 1 additional year of study to get a DPT.thanks

Thanks. I found those statistics about pass rates and employment but it appears to be outdated. I've contacted the program director so hope to hear soon. Still a little weary not having a didactic curriculum so any opinions on self-study programs, PBL learning, etc would be greatly appreciated.

I'm interviewing with them tomorrow for a spot in the January 2014 class, so I'd also really love some input. The lack of gross anatomy really concerns me and I intend to ask about that and the PBL style curriculum. I'm also wondering whether it's a good or bad idea to just get an MPT, start working, and do a part time t-DPT program rather than do the transfer option they have to NAU. I've heard some conflicting things on job options as an MPT rather than a DPT.

BrokenDancer, good luck tomorrow and let me know how the interview goes. I will be applying there soon for 2015. As for the MPT vs DPT, I've spoken to professors and employers and both don't seem to think it's a huge variable in gaining employment especially with the demand for PT's. Doing the t-DPT while working seems like a nice approach since you would be gaining experience and having an income.

BrokenDancer, good luck tomorrow and let me know how the interview goes. I will be applying there soon for 2015. As for the MPT vs DPT, I've spoken to professors and employers and both don't seem to think it's a huge variable in gaining employment especially with the demand for PT's. Doing the t-DPT while working seems like a nice approach since you would be gaining experience and having an income.
Thanks! I got accepted 20 minutes after my interview. I have so little time to decide (they didn't give me a deadline, but if I want to go I have to get started on the visa process and such), I'm really struggling with this decision. Re-applying to get my tDPT would be such a pain and what if I don't get in for some reason? So many questions and concerns...

Thanks! I got accepted 20 minutes after my interview. I have so little time to decide (they didn't give me a deadline, but if I want to go I have to get started on the visa process and such), I'm really struggling with this decision. Re-applying to get my tDPT would be such a pain and what if I don't get in for some reason? So many questions and concerns...

Congrats! That's great news. Hard decision I know. Did you ask about gross anatomy and PBL? I'm curious to know the differences in programs but assuming it's similar since it's accredited. Let me know what you decide.

Congrats! That's great news. Hard decision I know. Did you ask about gross anatomy and PBL? I'm curious to know the differences in programs but assuming it's similar since it's accredited. Let me know what you decide.
Thank you! I did ask about gross anatomy and PBL. They don't have any kind of gross anatomy course, they said it was partially because it's just a Master's program and there's a time constraint, but mostly because 'that's what your prerequisites are for' - you're expected to know insertions and innervations and all that jazz going into the program, so in their eyes gross anatomy is a waste of time. As for PBL, they support it for all the obvious reasons: it promotes independent thinking and helps develop problems solving skills, as well as emphasizes that each patient is unique and will require a different treatment and that every aspect of the patient needs to be considered. They did acknowledge that it requires a lot of 'independent research' and brought up that your professors are there for support and to lead you in the right direction and help you through the process. Understandably so, they probably feel you'll be more ready to be work autonomously when the time comes.

I definitely need a few days to do more research and think things through. It looks like RGU will financially be the best option since I'd be working a year and a half earlier, even accounting for the cost of a tDPT program. APTA does say on their website though that tDPT programs are closing and they suspect they'll all be gone by 2020 due to lack of demand, so that's a bit concerning for me. Additionally, I'm certain my anatomy class was not nearly as in depth as they assume it was an I'm scared I'll be vastly underprepared for the program, so once my "official offer" comes through, I plan on emailing them about this and seeing what they advise.

Interesting response they gave you about gross anatomy since a large majority of programs had it when they were Master's as well. I imagine all of us that had undergrad A&P then took gross would say the amount of depth is vastly different. So is the entire program PBL style learning? From what I've heard it's mostly self-study with the professors being more 'facilitators' instead of teachers per say. I didn't think about the tDPT programs being obsolete by 2020. Much to consider for me as well. Thanks for the info. Good luck with decision making.

Interesting response they gave you about gross anatomy since a large majority of programs had it when they were Master's as well. I imagine all of us that had undergrad A&P then took gross would say the amount of depth is vastly different. So is the entire program PBL style learning? From what I've heard it's mostly self-study with the professors being more 'facilitators' instead of teachers per say. I didn't think about the tDPT programs being obsolete by 2020. Much to consider for me as well. Thanks for the info. Good luck with decision making.
I've heard that the A&P I took was abnormally crappy, but we didn't cover origins/insertions at all and we barely touched on innervations and functions. Didn't really learn the names of many ligaments or tendons either. I'd be so vastly unprepared for RGU.

Yeah, from what I gathered, it's entirely PBL. They said there were no didactic classes. Facilitators would be a good way to describe their professors, that sounds accurate based on their description.

I called the woman in the Academic Affairs department of APTA, she said there'd still be some programs around by the time I'd graduate from RGU but that all of them being gone by 2020 is entirely possible. The demand for them has greatly decreased and it's basically foreign educated PTs enrolling now, not many other people.