Self Studying Biochem

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

squids82

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I understand it’s better to take all the classes pertaining to the MCAT before the actual exam, but would it be possible to effectively know the MCAT Biochem material by using books (ie Barron’s, Princeton Review, and Kaplan) over a month or so?

Members don't see this ad.

From my perspective, yes except for psych/soc.

I am not taking orgo 2, but the orgo 2 materials (sugar chemistry) were in my biochem class to some extent and that which wasn't and is tested on MCAT, is fairly easily drawn and learned.

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks! I just wanted to make sure I wouldn’t be screwed if I take it before Biochem

To make sure we're saying the same thing:

The ONLY class you DO NOT need before MCAT is psych/soc (that you can get from the current 100 pg Khan Academy notes)

You MIGHT not need to take orgo 2 as I explained

BUT I believe 100% you really do need at least orgo 1 AND biochem before the MCAT (I've taken the exam; voided once, scored once)

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
To make sure we're saying the same thing:

The ONLY class you DO NOT need before MCAT is psych/soc (that you can get from the current 100 pg Khan Academy notes)

You MIGHT not need to take orgo 2 as I explained

BUT I believe 100% you really do need at least orgo 1 AND biochem before the MCAT (I've taken the exam; voided once, scored once)
I will have taken both semesters of ochem by the time I’d take it if in August. So you don’t think the three books plus the Khan Academy videos would be a good enough supplement?

I would swap out ochem 2 for biochem; biochem >>> ochem 2

it's an entirely different beast; ochem is puzzles with electrons; biochem is puzzles + math + pathways + genetics (in my case, at least)

But, I am not you. I could not have learned biochem the way it needed to be for the MCAT via books and videos, just like I could not learn physics that way either.

YMMV

I would swap out ochem 2 for biochem; biochem >>> ochem 2

it's an entirely different beast; ochem is puzzles with electrons; biochem is puzzles + math + pathways + genetics (in my case, at least)

But, I am not you. I could not have learned biochem the way it needed to be for the MCAT via books and videos, just like I could not learn physics that way either.

YMMV
Thanks! I do appreciate the help!