Selling off outreach work?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

moosepatrol77

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I learned by email the other day that my admin is selling off the rights to all our outreach testing. Anyone been through this with Quest or LabCorp? I'm concerned how the final agreement might affect my group's practice.

Members don't see this ad.

This happened in my PP group 12 years ago. Our AP work was cut out though and the LabCorp folks were pretty cool about not pushing for it. It worked out surprisingly well for all involved.

Reactions: 1 user
This happened in my PP group 12 years ago. Our AP work was cut out though and the LabCorp folks were pretty cool about not pushing for it. It worked out surprisingly well for all involved.

I doubt it worked out surprisingly well for the non-MD lab staff. It is a bloodbath for them.

Members don't see this ad :)
I doubt it worked out surprisingly well for the non-MD lab staff. It is a bloodbath for them.

That's one of my concerns. I'm worried this is going to turn into an "opportunity" to reduce staff.

I'm not entirely certain how this whole arrangement is going to play out.

Our lab was so pathetically understaffed as it was, few positions were cut. However this sale was used for years as an excuse to not fill vacated positions.

That's one of my concerns. I'm worried this is going to turn into an "opportunity" to reduce staff.

I'm not entirely certain how this whole arrangement is going to play out.

Departments will disappear. If you are reading out GYN cytology, that will go away as well.

Last edited:
Departments will disappear. If you are reading out GYN cytology, that will go away as well.

That got yanked already actually. I'm not heartbroken over losing GYN cyto, but I think the big commercial labs will start to eat more of our pie, one piece at a time. SUPPOSEDLY, the agreement only includes CP work, but I'm really doubtful of it all.

A competitor lab of ours recently sold off their outreach work, supposedly due to pension legacy costs. I have been watching it unfold and it has been pretty ugly. I hope your administrators had a good reason to sell. People just don't have any fight left in them anymore.

A competitor lab of ours recently sold off their outreach work, supposedly due to pension legacy costs. I have been watching it unfold and it has been pretty ugly. I hope your administrators had a good reason to sell. People just don't have any fight left in them anymore.

I assume the main reason is due to the long term impacts of PAMA, but it seems like a considerable amount of business to give up. We´re in mega cost cutting mode throughout our enterprise, I guess I shouldn´t be so shocked.

That got yanked already actually. I'm not heartbroken over losing GYN cyto, but I think the big commercial labs will start to eat more of our pie, one piece at a time. SUPPOSEDLY, the agreement only includes CP work, but I'm really doubtful of it all.

Toward the end of my career after they bought Ameripath from Welsh Carson, et al, and we had sold to what subsequently became Ameripath I worked for Quest. That is, indeed, their ultimate goal and they have plenty of time,money and muscle.

If you break down your system (couriers etc) needed to get bloods to your lab from outpatient setting how will you get the AP work from MD offices, surgery centers to your lab.

your administrators likely sold your outpatient GIs, Gyns, derms and surgery center biopsies too, at least the TC piece.

Last edited:
If you break down your system (couriers etc) needed to get bloods to your lab from outpatient setting how will you get the AP work from MD offices, surgery centers to your lab.

your administrators likely sold your outpatient GIs, Gyns, derms and surgery center biopsies too, at least the TC piece.
This is a great point and I totally forgot that this was an issue for us. We had to hire a part time marketing person who also acted as a courier.

I learned by email the other day that my admin is selling off the rights to all our outreach testing. Anyone been through this with Quest or LabCorp? I'm concerned how the final agreement might affect my group's practice.

This literally happens all the time. Yah definitely be concerned. I have seen groups die off during such transitions.