Selling out... for how much?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

beriberi

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just curious...how much can you make as an Emergency Medicine provider? IF you are willing to go anywhere and do anything?

I know there have been lots of threads on average salary, academic vs private, etc. What I am interested in is credible stories about the most money you have heard of people making.

i.e. There is a small town near here, I have heard that will pay $225/hr for moonlighters (usually surgeons who have been in practice a number of years) for working 24 hour weekend shifts.

Please, would someone one-up that?

Members don't see this ad.

In democratic partnerships, once you make partner you can make serious bank. Even more money if you go to an out-of-the-way location, provide single-coverage, or any other undesirable aspects of the job.

Making 400K a year working 40 hrs/week as partner is not too difficult, from what I understand. One of my attendings got offered 300K right out of residency in Los Angeles.

Well, speaking of Emergency Medicine providers, EMT's make about $7-10/hr and Paramedics $10-15/hr...

(I know, I know.... But you did say emergency medicine provider, not specifically MD...)
:)

Members don't see this ad :)
I know as an ED orderly, I made $7.15 an hour.

Now, I know I wasn't providing Emergency MEDICINE, but was an integral part of the PROVIDING team.

Q, DO

As a medical student I specialize in providing people WITH emergencies, and I actually pay them to let me do it! :D

Originally posted by NinerNiner999
As a medical student I specialize in providing people WITH emergencies, and I actually pay them to let me do it! :D

you're right! Dropping a lung while putting in a subclavian allows for EXTRA procedural knowledge to be gained.

Q, DO

Originally posted by QuinnNSU
you're right! Dropping a lung while putting in a subclavian allows for EXTRA procedural knowledge to be gained.

Q, DO

A fellow EM resident was talking about just this thing this evening: his co-resident, while putting in an IJ, caused a tension pneumo. The senior would not allow the EM res to needle decompress, instead calling for surgery and waiting until they got there to put a chest tube in.

Originally posted by Apollyon
A fellow EM resident was talking about just this thing this evening: his co-resident, while putting in an IJ, caused a tension pneumo. The senior would not allow the EM res to needle decompress, instead calling for surgery and waiting until they got there to put a chest tube in.

Did they do the chest tube before or after the Y incision across the chest?

Originally posted by beriberi
Just curious...how much can you make as an Emergency Medicine provider? IF you are willing to go anywhere and do anything?

Just remember to wear a condom.

Originally posted by Apollyon

Why couldn't the EM resident needle decompress and put in the chest tube? Is there some policy that only surgery can do this at your facility?

Originally posted by Geek Medic
Why couldn't the EM resident needle decompress and put in the chest tube? Is there some policy that only surgery can do this at your facility?

The resident said that the senior resident wouldn't let him needle decompress. As far as the chest tube, our program is new, and we don't have the political clout to take the initiative in the MICU at Duke to put it in ourselves - yet (the ED is a different story, but, even so, we've had to be proactive even in the department - Duke surgery doesn't let go too handily). Had he, so many people would have had kittens, we'd have needed the SPCA. The patient wasn't crumping, so it had not come to a critical point, and surgery got there rather soon.