Selling the overfill in vials/syringes

Started by tekim
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

tekim

Full Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
From what I understand, it is common for there to be overfill in vials. Specifically for chemo drugs.

So for something like Aranesp, if I were to save up that overfill until I got a full dose, and then sold/billed that dose as a regular injection...would that be ethical/smart? I think there are issues with sterility and whatnot...but do you know if its against the law to do so?

I guess technically we're selling a drug that we didnt intially buy.

I work at a medical office where they give these injections regularly.
 
From what I understand, it is common for there to be overfill in vials. Specifically for chemo drugs.

So for something like Aranesp, if I were to save up that overfill until I got a full dose, and then sold/billed that dose as a regular injection...would that be ethical/smart? I think there are issues with sterility and whatnot...but do you know if its against the law to do so?

I guess technically we're selling a drug that we didnt intially buy.

I work at a medical office where they give these injections regularly.

At the very least unsafe if the vials are designed to be single use.
 
I usually batch things when I'm working in the IV room. Occasionally there is enough overfill in a product that I end up using fewer vials than expected (ie: I can make 3 Furosemide bags with 2 vials, I forget the dose). I think batching saves time and money.

I would worry about sterility if you just left the overfill in the vial. But if you're using it right away to fill another syringe I don't see an issue.