Semester overload?

Started by MishMash
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

MishMash

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey guys, I'm a little worried about my fall semester class because I'm nervous that i made myself a little overload? If you could please take a look :]


Organic Chemistry I
Anatomy
Calculus
2 honor courses ( I have to take them since I'm in honors)

I'm not that good in math, so I'm really worried =x

Thanks guys :scared:😛
 
It's going to be hard, Orgo and Calculus, but Anatomy is just mindless memorization, so that shouldn't be too difficult. That was my hardest semester actually, Organic + Calculus.

I think you'll be OK if you budget your time well! I made it, and I, too, am bad at math.


Hey guys, I'm a little worried about my fall semester class because I'm nervous that i made myself a little overload? If you could please take a look :]


Organic Chemistry I
Anatomy
Calculus
2 honor courses ( I have to take them since I'm in honors)

I'm not that good in math, so I'm really worried =x

Thanks guys :scared:😛
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey guys, I'm a little worried about my fall semester class because I'm nervous that i made myself a little overload? If you could please take a look :]


Organic Chemistry I
Anatomy
Calculus
2 honor courses ( I have to take them since I'm in honors)

I'm not that good in math, so I'm really worried =x

Thanks guys :scared:😛


You should be ok as long as you are good with time management.
 
Sounds like a normal semester to me, but if you're worried, try to bump calculus over to the next semester or during the summer.
 
with calculus and organic chemistry, if you spend the amount of time needed to learn the concepts and work problems, you'll get used to things quickly. it does get a bit easier after you start, but you have to be consistent in keeping it up.
 
I'm with naseuy, sounds like a fairly normal courseload even with difficulties in some areas. I think, like everyone else said, if you manage your time well you should come out quite all right.
 
Depends what GPA you are aiming for. If you're aiming for a 4.0 (no A-'s), then you're semester is going to be miserable and stressful.

I'm betting everyone on here saying that that's a normal schedule probably gets mediocre grades (B+/A-'s). Why settle for mediocre? Drop a class and aim for that 4.0.

edit: nvm, I'm talking about quarter system not semester.
 
Last edited:
Depends what GPA you are aiming for. If you're aiming for a 4.0 (no A-'s), then you're semester is going to be miserable and stressful.

I'm betting everyone on here saying that that's a normal schedule probably gets mediocre grades (B+/A-'s). Why settle for mediocre? Drop a class and aim for that 4.0.


Someone needs to splash some reality on their face. When did a B+ or an A- became mediocre? :shrug:
 
Someone needs to splash some reality on their face. When did a B+ or an A- became mediocre? :shrug:

Since the average GPA of admitted students for pharm schools is around 3.4/3.5 (at least for California), wouldn't a B+/A- semester be average/mediocre? Guess that's just my opinion.
 
Depends what GPA you are aiming for. If you're aiming for a 4.0 (no A-'s), then you're semester is going to be miserable and stressful.

I'm betting everyone on here saying that that's a normal schedule probably gets mediocre grades (B+/A-'s). Why settle for mediocre? Drop a class and aim for that 4.0.
This could possibly rank among one of the most ignorant statements I've ever heard on SDN. Exactly what qualifies you to make such a statement?

"Normal" is subjective. Let me give you an idea of the kind of semester I used to have in undergrad. My busiest:
Genetics.........................4 hours
Organic Chemistry I..........5 hours
Biochemistry....................5 hours
Virology..........................4 hours
Human Physiology (Honors).....4 hours
Financial Management...........3 hours
Tax Accounting I.................3 hours
Folk/Social Dance................1 hour

Eight classes, 29 credit hours total. Or one that was less busy...

Calc I................................5 hours
Organic Chemistry II.............5 hours
Aquatic Ecology...................4 hours
US History I.........................3 hours
Intermediate Accounting III.....3 hours
Auditing...............................3 hours
Accounting Information Systems.....3 hours

Seven classes, 26 credit hours total.

Compared to my schedules, the OP's is "normal." And the last time I checked, I didn't have "mediocre grades." And until you've struggled with the intricacies of pension accounting, don't even try to say that the accounting classes were "easy."
 
This could possibly rank among one of the most ignorant statements I've ever heard on SDN. Exactly what qualifies you to make such a statement?

"Normal" is subjective. Let me give you an idea of the kind of semester I used to have in undergrad. My busiest:
Genetics.........................4 hours
Organic Chemistry I..........5 hours
Biochemistry....................5 hours
Virology..........................4 hours
Human Physiology (Honors).....4 hours
Financial Management...........3 hours
Tax Accounting I.................3 hours
Folk/Social Dance................1 hour

Eight classes, 29 credit hours total. Or one that was less busy...

Calc I................................5 hours
Organic Chemistry II.............5 hours
Aquatic Ecology...................4 hours
US History I.........................3 hours
Intermediate Accounting III.....3 hours
Auditing...............................3 hours
Accounting Information Systems.....3 hours

Seven classes, 26 credit hours total.

Compared to my schedules, the OP's is "normal." And the last time I checked, I didn't have "mediocre grades." And until you've struggled with the intricacies of pension accounting, don't even try to say that the accounting classes were "easy."

Hmm.. I'm used to the quarter system so I don't have a perspective of "busy" for a semester system. So I'm guessing these 5-7 class semesters are normal. In a quarter system, taking 5 classes was insane, especially science classes. My bad for the mix-up.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hmm.. I'm used to the quarter system so I don't have a perspective of "busy" for a semester system.
Not to worry...One semester hour is equal to 1.5 quarter hours (I looked it up), or 1 quarter hour is equal to 0.67 semester hours. So taking 29 semester hours is equal to taking 43.5 quarter hours.

EDIT: I guess I quoted too soon.